Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Puremix Mixing Competition – Deadline April 11th

• This topic has 70 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    chris massa
    Participant

Nice Mange need to get my drums better like yours.

Magnus Johansson
      Participant

Thanks Chris, a lot of pain in them. Wish I could give you some clear pointers on anything unusal I did. just tweaks and tweaks. Mixed all the kicks and snares and processed the mixes instead of each mic. Used mAutoAlign on the drums. A touch of saturation on snare. VCC and VTM on drumbus. Premier use of the Waves API550 on the kick, liked it.

chris massa
        Participant

No Great info. Never thought to just process the mix. Old habits mix the mics. I got to look into phase alignment.
          Sounds like Slate and Waves. Thanks! Perfect day in Chicago to mix cloudy and raining by me.

chris massa
          Participant

at which point did you phase align? after you created a bass drum, snare mixes then align to rest of kit? did you process each tom?

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by chris massa.
            Steve A
            Participant

Sounds good Mange! ..another quality mix from the PLAPA crew, I like it.

Magnus Johansson
              Participant

I´m quite new user of the mautoalign plugin. So far I have "aligned" the kicks, the snares and the overheads in seperate subgroups, then aligned the overheads to each drum toms, snare group, kick group and hihat. It´s probably possible to just add the plugin to each drum mic and click analyze. Makes me wonder why I do it as I do. I try to do do the aligning of the drums as step one. You should probably redo it after eq has been applied. I have not done so as of yet.

Don´t remember if I did the aligning on the overheads of this song as they were so strange. I think I narrowed the overheads quite a bit, also used hipass filters in a not so subtle way.

Tobi
                Keymaster

Mange, Tight mix. Really slick. Nice levels throughout. Drums sound compact and punchy. Liked the delay on vocals. Ending might be a touch heavy handed... or might be just the right amount of vulgar to be cool 😉

...Personally, I'm now too old to know which 🙂

chris massa
                  Participant

I downloaded mAutoAlign and did the sub group with the drums I think it is much better. I used waves SSL CLA settings for kick/snare/toms and used Klanghiem compressor as a Drum Crush Track. Yeah the OH were not much use I clip gained them up. Used waves de-sser quite a bit especial the vocals and notched out the verse voice were that piano played. Pointy frequency.

Definitely need to read up on mAutoAlign, well worth the price.

Thanks for the input.

Magnus Johansson
                    Participant

Chris, good info. I used FG-Red as the crusher, Chose it for no particular reason. It was collecting virtual dust.

Toby, I take it you have crossed over the forty. I remember that day... it was long ago.

Steve, thanks for the smiley.

Ilan Benitah
                      Participant

https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/puremix-mixing-competition/submissions/4abf255c-0028-11e6-ae60-0e8b89ba5cff

My upload ended up 25sec before the countdown haha

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Ilan Benitah.
                        Steve A
                        Participant

I voted for everyone that left a comment, and voted my own mix..is that tacky or what? ..lolz...
                          Hey, I was bored..

So, what now? The judges have a week to listen and vote? (I'm new to this major site featuring competition mixes, so I have no idea..)

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Steve A.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.