Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Puremix Mixing Competition – Deadline April 11th

• This topic has 70 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Like the level of the reverse vocals on the pre chorus - very cool, but found them a bit distracting on the main chorus, maybe down a notch or two? Guitars are nice and huge, but stay tight enough to give space to everything else. Tricky to get right.

Really brought some polish to this. Good stuff.

TGMIX
      Participant

Thanks Toby! Yeah the only way to get the drums to poke through was to create some sonic space by EQ'ing the guitars. It was a tricky balance indeed. Thanks for listening and commenting!

Tobi
        Keymaster

Yep, that's I've been doing today. Went back through all the EQ.

TGMIX
          Participant
            Steve A
            Participant

Nice work Anders and Tom! ...great mixes!
              This is the one I plan on submitting, unless of course, there's something that needs addressing...
              Any feedback welcome. 🙂

https://soundcloud.com/user-260284788/2-face-your-fears-or-die

Tobi
              Keymaster

Had a lot of fun and learned a lot mixing this track. It really grew on my as I mixed it. Cymbals are all splashy and phasey, but other than that... I'm pretty pleased with it. Really like my 'Enter the Dragon' style bass line in the pre-chorus 🙂 Comments, feedback welcome!

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/face-your-fear-and-die-beaglebutlermix-hd-aac-192kbps-cbr-q1-0-173415-08apr16

Tobi
                Keymaster

Tom, just checked your mix out. One word - professional. Really slick. Great attention to levels and EQ. Very nice job.

Tobi
                  Keymaster

3rdstone, Verses are nice and punchy. ...Guitar and Bass sound like they're muddying each other up in the chorus. The mix has fantastic traction in the verses and pre-chorus, but the wheels start to slip in the chorus.

Really like the vocal effect in the breakdown, maybe dial it down a notch? So i feel it rather than hear it.

Drums are nicely mixed. Good wet / dry balance. Snare solid, a touch too thuddy for me - I like my rock snare to sound like a hobbit's head being cracked open 😉

All in all, a very solid, dynamic mix. Good stuff!

Tobi
                    Keymaster

Just listened to my mix back on my TV - wow! it sounds bassy. Funny thing is I dialed the bass back, 'cos I knew I was pushing it. Not used to my monitor speakers yet.

Anders Isberg
                      Participant

Great mixes guys! As usual here at PLAPA everyone brings something individual and unique to the party. Here's my submission to the contest. Not perfect by any means, but it was a fun mix to do.

https://soundcloud.com/timelike_productions/face-your-fear-or-die-by-vifolly-anders-mix

Tobi
                        Keymaster

Chunky, crunchy guitars, and big, deep, booming drums - very cool. Synth comes out really well in the breakdown. Really like how you've brought out the guitar tones. Cracking mix!

Anders Isberg
                          Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toby! You really deserve some props for the way you've been giving constructive criticism and comments throughout this thread.

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 71 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.