Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Puremix Mixing Competition – Deadline April 11th

• This topic has 70 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Steve A
    Participant

OK, here's a rough mix of this tune.
      I gotta say, that this song has grown on me, there's a little 'youthful tone' in the vocal, but after all, they are a young bunch.
      I tried adding some effects to the vox, just to mask a bit of what I'm talking about..

So here it is... pick this sucker apart!..haha.. ..and I'll try and refine before the deadline... Thanks Guys!

http://soundcloud.com/user-260284788/faceyourfearsordie

EDIT: I just listened to Jared's mix again... I think he's got me beat by a country mile...
      That's a really good mix my brutha! Gonna be hard to beat that one!
      But in good sportsmanship style, by god, I'm gonna give it the ol' college try! ...lolz...

Steve A
      Participant

@ Andrew, good mix my friend! I like what you did with the intro, and a lot of other sections of the song...
        @ TG, Hi Tom, I like the refinements you did with the later mixes, with the exception of the drums. That first mix had the drums sounding really good, what did you change with the later mixes, if I may ask?
        I have to agree with Toby here on syklopz' mix, you still have it set at a different sample rate I think. Maybe double check? Hope you sort that out..

Overall though, no matter if my mix comes out sounding sub-par, I really had fun with this, and it helped me further in my transition from Mixcraft's DAW to Pro Tools.
        I'll be remixing this tune this weekend after listening to Jared's mix again. Dammit! ...hahaa.. (all in fun)

EDIT: Good lord! After listening to my rough again, the lead vocals are severely lacking body, I need to remedy that ASAP!

TGMIX
        Participant

Hey @3rdstone. I appreciate the feedback. Yeah I really liked the way the drums sounded in the first mix overall as well but they were a little dry and thuddy for the rest of the track so I did some parallel compression to try and get some ambience on them and blended them in to try and make the whole mix gel a little more and not be so drum centric (even though I am a drummer :). I also boosted some 7.2k and 12k on the snare and pulled out some more 500 so it wasn't so thuddy. Also, I am not using any real limiting on this so it's a bit quieter than the first one (I pulled off the limiter). I know this is a mix competition but it seems like a lot of people basically are mastering their mix and making the song as loud as possible. Not sure if that's an advantage or not.

I think you are off to a great start on your mix! It even sounded really good on my iPhone speakers! I also checked on headphones. Good dynamics going already and nice balances. Now maybe slightly exaggerate some of those dynamics between sections to create some excitement. Your snare sounds good but could possibly be a little louder in the choruses. The verb that's on it is pleasant but it might be pushing it back in the mix a bit too much compared to the rest of the kit. The BG vocals sometimes cover it up as well. All in all great work as usual! I'd hate to have to judge one of these mixing competitions!

Tobi
          Keymaster

Hi everyone!

Just a quickie before I start work. I've posted a request on the Academy Facebook page, to see if we can have Warren listen to a few of our mixes this Friday Feedback 🙂

Ralph Dick

Great song by Vifolly and co-produced by Fab Dupont that I made darker and did a lot of 3D stereo imaging. Yes the kick is louder than I would normally do but with the Kick and snare sets your hart beat as the song is about facing your fear. Sorry Warren not one of your as I have finish all off your songs on this forum.

https://soundcloud.com/ralph-dick-598608521/face-your-fear-or-die

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6wh9o63j18bc724/How%20I%20Lost%20My%20Way.wav?dl=0 or direct play
              https://dl.dropbox.com/s/6wh9o63j18bc724/How%20I%20Lost%20My%20Way.wav?dl=0

Feedback most welcome.

Anders Isberg
              Participant

Hey Guys! I wasn't going to take part in this competition but I was inspired by all your great mixes, so I downloaded the stems and spent a couple of hours trying to at least get it in the ballpark. I didn't use any samples, only the original files. Any feedback is of course welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/timelike_productions/face-your-fear-or-die-anders-mix/s-3nzNl

Rich Zei
                Participant

ARGH!!!! I'm not going to be able post for the is one. The timetable on our home move has been pushed up and with coaching and the like, my studio will be off line for a couple of weeks.

I will most definitely be in on the next one, Drums a BLAZING!!

Anders Isberg
                  Participant

Can't see my earlier post so here it is again.

Hey Guys! I wasn't going to take part in this competition but I was inspired by all your great mixes, so I downloaded the stems and spent a couple of hours trying to at least get it in the ballpark. I didn't use any samples, only the original files. Any feedback is of course welcome.

https://soundcloud.com/timelike_productions/face-your-fear-or-die-anders-mix/s-3nzNl

TGMIX
                    Participant

Yeah Anders! I was hoping you might get in on this one. Off to a great start. What did you do to that sub drop? I really like it!

Anders Isberg
                      Participant

Thanks Tom! That's just a big hall reverb on the sub drop.

Tobi
                        Keymaster

Really nice Anders. Agree with Tom, the sub drop is very cool.

TGMIX
                          Participant
                          Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 71 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.