Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Puremix Mixing Competition – Deadline April 11th

• This topic has 70 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Steve A.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Rich Zei
    Participant

DOH!!!!!!

Nice catch Toby. I hadn't realized I was in 48k. I re imported/exported my mix and fixed something else I missed.

https://soundcloud.com/anubis_recorders/face-your-fears-r3

Andrew Mckenzie
      Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toby, much appreciated!

Cheers...Andrew

Ralf Tyra
        Participant

Hey guys,

There is a misconception regarding the use of drum samples for enhancement/replacement.

I found this on the discussion board over at Indaba:

Ben Lindell
          replied
          Hi guys, Ben from pureMix here. In terms of sample replacing, if you think it helps you get a better mix go for it. The rules were meant to not treat this like a remix but just a mix (which we know sometimes requires sample replacement on the drums). Hope that helps clarify!

Cheers,
          Ralf

Steve A
          Participant

Oh wow, and here I spent a ton of time on the drums and got them pretty close to where I want...except for the dang overheads and those phasey cymbal crashes....
            I wonder how the heck to incorporate those, or do I scrap the drums altogether? hmmm... decisions, decisions..

Tobi
            Keymaster

Spent a load of time today on rerouting groups and FXs, so much so that I think I managed to successfully mix myself right up my own mix bus!

...start again tomorrow with a clear head. 🙂

Tobi
              Keymaster

Syklopz, I think you're still in 48k. Have a listen to the other mixers.

Tobi
                Keymaster

Ralf,

Thanks for the info. I'll probably stick with just the drums... maybe...

chris massa
                  Participant

Well good I don't feel bad about using the signal gen trick to beef up the kick. Still working on it. Spent the weekend with Toby Wright at Blackbird.

TGMIX
                    Participant

Tweaked a few things for this mix based on comments here. Let me know what you guys think.

https://soundcloud.com/tom-garrington/face-your-fear-or-die

Tobi
                      Keymaster

Really nice detail coming through. You've brought out the dynamics of the song. I love how many of the instruments you've managed to sit nicely together - well worked EQ. The bottom end is even coming through nicely on my TV.

...still think the guitars are a little low. ...then again on my mix, that's all you can hear - but my guitars sound huuuuge! 🙂

Top notch mix!

TGMIX
                        Participant

Thanks for the feedback Toby. Glad the details are coming across now as that's what I have been really focusing on. You're right about the guitars. Honestly I've ben having trouble getting them to sit in the mix just right. I want them to be huge as well but every time I bring them up a but they just take over the whole track! Will try and tweak further. Thanks again!

TGMIX
                          Participant
                          Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 71 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.