Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Pensado's Place Mixing Competition -Deadline 18th May

• This topic has 94 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Chris Sweet.
Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Anders Isberg
    Participant

@Chris - Great mix! Very well balanced. I would maybe change the panning in the choruses to make them open up even more. Also the overheads/cymbals and guitars in the chorus is clashing somewhat. It's not that pronounced but it's there if you listen closely.

Anders Isberg
      Participant

@Toby - Thanks for the feedback. Excellent observations! I'll keep them in mind when doing the next revision.

Chris Sweet
        Participant

Thanks Anders. I have everything pretty hard panned on the chorus, but I'm thinking of narrowing things a little on the verses to make the choruses a little more explosive. Ill have to listen for the guitar /drum clash. The guitars sound like vintage 30 speakers...they have that upper mid brashness I'm not a fan of. Still working it all out. Thanks again for the feedback.

Chris Sweet
          Participant

Here's my latest revision. Time corrected and reworked the bass guitar tone. Also narrowed the panning on the verses.

Also added some parallel distortion on the drums on the choruses to give it a little extra energy.

This feels close

https://soundcloud.com/csweet08-1/distance-rev-6

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Chris Sweet.
            Tobi
            Keymaster

Drums step up a gear nicely in the chorus. Much more energy and drive to the track. Guitars sound nice and crunchy. Good deep tone on the solo. Good dynamic variations throughout and some nice automation touches.

Had to crank it quite load to pick up the midrange. It's a little bit boom and fizz on my TV... but, that needs to be taken with a pinch of salt. Be interesting to hear what it sounds like on other people's set-ups.

It's really good. You're showing some serious slight of hand with this one.

Chris Sweet
              Participant

Hmm that's weird about how it's translating on your tv. I know the kick has some boom to it (wish I could use a sample), not sure about
                fizz. I'm pretty pleased overall. It's definitely a tricky song to make sound radio ready.

I'd be curious to know how it's translating on other systems as well.

Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Tobi
                Keymaster

Yeah.. I wouldn't worry about it too much, it's probably the TV.

Chris Sweet
                  Participant

It's probably the sub bass. I know my tv farts out whenever there's low lows in a movie. Interstellar was all fizz lol.

Tobi
                    Keymaster

...of course it could also be my ears.... too much grunge rock in my teenage years! 😉

I've found myself bouncing off the walls a bit with this mix... everything I try brings a new problem. Slowly getting there... great song, though! 🙂

Chris Sweet
                      Participant

Yeah I know what you mean. All the instruments need work for sure. Once you get the pieces right the puzzle fits but it's work. Some songs mix themselves. This isn't one.

Anders Isberg
                        Participant

Awesome mix Chris! I think you've reached the state where the mix doesn't get any better with changes, just different.

Chris Sweet
                          Participant

@Anders Wow thanks man. I think it's time to commit and submit it. I know there's stiff competition but hopefully this mix can hang with the best.

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 95 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.