Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Pensado's Place Mixing Competition -Deadline 18th May

• This topic has 94 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Chris Sweet.
Viewing 12 posts - 73 through 84 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Nathan Kaye
    Participant

I did a mix for this last week, but still haven't submitted it. Thanks for the reminder! Good luck everyone! Hope some PLAPers win it!

Nathan Kaye
      Participant

Hey guys n gals!
        I just dropped my mix in already. Hadn't thought of asking for critiquing before submitting it. So silly! Anyway, I'm pretty happy with the mix, but I'd still love to hear your valuable feedback because we can re-edit it before the submission final date closes..
        Let me know what you think?
        https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/pensados-place-mixing-competition-regret-the-hour-distance/submissions/4d82236c-1c42-11e6-abfb-0e28ed62e801

In joy,
        Nathan

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Nathan Kaye.
        Tobi
        Keymaster

Right.... I think that's me done. Can't hear it anymore. My ears have saturated.

Went for a brighter, more open sound. Bit of a sub on the kick. Snare is crisp. Parked the bassline smack down the middle. Vocals are quite thin and bright. Guitars parked wide and wider. Much wetter than I'd usually mix. Dripping in reverb in places. Lots of automation. Some compression. Saturation? Don't mind if I do.

Mixed to a LUFS range of -16 to -20, because... I don't know, just because.

It's the most accomplished technical mix, I've managed so far. Pushed the creativity as far as the rules would allow it, perhaps a touch further.

Thoughts, opinions, feedback all welcome. ...honestly, I think this mix broke my head.

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/regret-the-hour-distance-beaglebutlermix-pensado-competition

Tobi
          Keymaster

Nathan,

Like the processing on the 2nd Guitar - very surfer / Tarantino cool. Snare treatment is interesting... almost like a shaker. Lots of playing with tones. Bass has cool phaser vibe about it. Vocal tone is nice, carries the emotion well. Giving more of the chorus to the acoustic works well.

Feels a little unsettled in places - like it's all coming at you at once (though that might be because my ears).

Very different. Stands out well.

Nathan Kaye
            Participant

I like how you've placed the mix in a warm room. In fact, it's a very warm mix overall. Gives it a really unique, possibly 60's-esque vibe.
              The sudden stop before the breakdown really pulls your focus in. Very creative idea.
              Only criticism is some of the end of the vocals felt a little like they got swallowed up. Maybe ride them up a fraction.

PS. I completely agree. This mix did my head in a bit too. I've just redone mine (again).

Nathan Kaye
              Participant

Thanks so much for listening to my mix Toby. I really appreciate that & also the feedback too.. I wasn't happy with the snare sound I had originally done, so I ended up deleting that mix you critiqued and popping up a new one.
                Which is here...
                https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/pensados-place-mixing-competition-regret-the-hour-distance/submissions/4d82236c-1c42-11e6-abfb-0e28ed62e801

Magnus Johansson
                Participant

Much better Nathan.

Chris Sweet
                  Participant

This mix was definitely a tough nut to crack. Getting the fundementals right (drums, bass and vocals) took the most time, and then the rest was just taste. Once those pieces were right the mix came together but it took me like 15 revisions and trips to the car to wrap my head around what wasn't working.

Like I said early on, this song doesn't mix itself. Good efforts from everyone, it's definitely a tricky mix.

Chris Sweet
                    Participant

Nathan- much better drum sound. Two thoughts, I might automate the word "can" up on the chorus, it's completely lost. Just a taste thing, but maybe making the verse echo a little wetter, pushing it back a tad into the mix might work better. Right now it almost sounds more upfront then any other mix element which sounds a tad jarring.

Excellent job overall

Tobi
                      Keymaster

Submitted :

https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/pensados-place-mixing-competition-regret-the-hour-distance/submissions/cb609bfe-1c3f-11e6-b671-0ef8f32a4357

Thanks for the feedback Nathan. I might take a pass at those vocals... kinda like it, but I should probably fix it. ...if my head starts working again.

Marcus Mittil
                        Participant

Thanks a lot for your feedback guys!

I did some eq cuts on the kick at 300 Hz, already had a cut at 280 Hz but it did indeed need some more. Still on the boomy side I guess, but I kinda liked it to be a bit heavy down there.

Did some riding of the vocals also, felt like the track didn't really call for more compression.

Now only an hour or so left, so I guess this will be the final version 🙂 Been too busy with other stuff to deal with this until last minute. Now I'm going back to putting up some acoustic foam in the new studio space!

https://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/pensados-place-mixing-competition-regret-the-hour-distance/submissions/2a43a87a-1d29-11e6-b958-0e61d8def927

Marcus Mittil
                          Participant

Toby - really cool approach to this song. Very raw and lo-fi somehow. Almost a bit too narrow for my taste, but it's definitely a sound to your mix! I would have liked a bit more dry vocals, but seems I've lately been going towards a more natural sound for vocals in general, so this is more a preference thing.

Thanks a lot for you comments on my mix!

Viewing 12 posts - 73 through 84 (of 95 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.