Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Pensado's Place Mixing Competition -Deadline 18th May

• This topic has 94 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Chris Sweet.
Viewing 11 posts - 85 through 95 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    Marcus Mittil
    Participant

Nathan - did you layer samples on top of the drums? Snare sound a lot more synthetic than other mixes on this. I really like the effect. Also like what you did to the guitars.
      The vocals sound a bit too harsh for my taste, but I do like the fx you've got on them otherwise. I'm a sucker for those throw delays.

Tobi
      Keymaster

Thanks Marcus! Yeah, I'd usually keep the vocals dryer too... but, felt right for this song.

Nathan Kaye
        Participant

Thank you for your feedback @Chris Sweet . I appreciate that you took the time buds. 🙂

Nathan Kaye
          Participant

Cheers @Marcus ! I didn't throw anything synthetic on the drums, but that snare bottom was really bugging me, which got me doing many revisions and heaps of processing. I ended up taking about 80% of the snare bottom out and processing the snot out of the snare top to make up the difference, which is why it might not sound natural, but I was happy enough with the result. Gosh! I hope they don't think I put something synthetic in because that would be against their rules, I think!

Ilan Benitah
            Participant
              Ilan Benitah
              Participant

Cool mix marcus!

Marcus Mittil
                Participant

Ilan nice work! When the song first started I thought "my god, that's trashy!", but then it opened up a bit into the song. It's a cool effect, but maybe it was for a bit too long time as it was now. Also the way it released into the regular sound of the song felt a bit weird (in lack of a better word). No biggie though.

Otherwise solid work, I like the vocal delay for the bridge and felt like a nice balance. Guitars sound good. Maybe the vocals could have come up a little bit more?

Ilan Benitah
                  Participant

I do agree 100% this intro is a lot too long haha. Thanks for your feedback.

Chris Sweet
                    Participant

Now the anticipation is killing me. I wish they'd rank it beyond first and second place. (Like top 10 or top 100 lol) Id love to know how I stacked up.

Terry Doyle
                      Participant

Thats a great video.

After watching that I have started to produce mixed that are limited at -0.7db.

My conversion on sites like soundcloud and indaba has been solid since that... so I'm going to keep doing this.

Chris Sweet
                        Participant

Went and remixed this one on my newer speakers. Wanted to get drums and bass working better.

https://soundcloud.com/confectionarysound/distance-regret-the-hour-chris-sweet-mix

Viewing 11 posts - 85 through 95 (of 95 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.