Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Cubase Who's A Cubase User Here?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 57 replies, 31 voices, and was last updated 9 months ago by Shaun Lynch.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 58 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Used Cubase since SX, love it. But have switched to Pro Tools to help my over all understanding. Currently on 8.5 Pro, its just so easy to follow.

Kevin Williams
      Participant

I am also a Cubase user and have used nothing else. I haven't felt the need to change. There's always a steep learning curve and I just didn't want to go through that pain again ☺. Currently running Cubase Pro 8 version 8.5. I have been using Cubase for about 8 years, I started on Cubase 4.0.

It's great and love it! However, I do think that C8 is very buggy compared to C7/7.5.

♫♪♫

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Kevin Williams.
        • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Kevin Williams.
        Nick D.
        Participant

I started on Cubase 5, just updated to 8.5 Pro. I have never really used any others, and I refuse to go to pro tools as every video I see it seems like there is 5 extra steps to do a button click in Cubase.

Mike Krowiak
          Participant

[Continued from the Mixing Workflow topic]

Nick: Folder tracks are the same in Cubase 7.5. I just think that the combining aspect of folders and groups overlaps, and having at least a volume fader on each folder track would make it more efficient (as in Studio One, etc.) Otherwise, you have to open each folder to make level changes in the Project window... Or add VCAs, which use another channel...

Nick D.
            Participant

If you want to do level changes pre bus compressor on a group channel the VCA is the way to go. If you have a group channel I find that the easiest to work with, but you don't have to keep the group channel in the folder is what I was getting at, or you can just have a folder for all the group channels. when I get towards the end of a mix I am doing very minor changes either with a single instrument or on a group channel. I haven't used Studio One.

If you want to make changes to level why would you go to the folder in the project window? why wouldn't you use the mixer window and just select the track and adjust. Once I have edits complete I only look at the project window to know where I am in the song, and do all adjustments form the mixer. there's no right or wrong way i'm just trying to get a grasp on your work flow and why you would want that. I probably setup my folders way different than you and I have folders with in folders especially with all the parallel compression and aux sends I do, so for me I wouldn't want another level of adjustment, and very rarely would I ever grab everything under a folder to volume automate, since it would totally change how all the compression and fx is set. I typically have everything I want to combine going to a group and then for an instrument like a drum kit I may have multiple sub groups going into a master group. For instance on a snare, I will have a top and bottom close mic, those get combined at an aux, then they get sent to a parallel aux and fx aux and then combined on a group, usually with a compressor, then that would go to a close mic group which gets sent to an all drum parallel bus, all drum reverb bus and a drum master bus, where everything gets combined, until I have a drum kit bus that I can automate as needed. if I tried to automate everything in a folder at once the whole gain staging would be completely ruined. however I do link channels like the snare top/bottom once I like the level between them and then that level gets pushed appropriately into the parallel compression and meet again at the snare bus. I could use a VCA there but seems like it would be a waste when I can link channels. but this is me, I like working like a pyramid I guess so the tracks im actually working with gets smaller and smaller.

Mike Krowiak
              Participant

TH: I've gotten used to pulling group tracks out of their original group folder and putting them next to their 'children.' Maybe I'll try working with the groups folder intact.

I do initial level changes in the project window because I like drawing automation in sections. (Select chorus 1, add 1 dB, etc.) This is very quick in Pro Tools; I wish Cubase made it a little easier. I have a macro/script combination that works with volume automation only, but it's a little clunky, to use the technical term... 🙂

Our workflows are not that different; I'm just not explaining properly. I'm not looking for a folder fader to tweak all the faders in the folder; the level change would be on the folder output. So forget folders: I should have said that group tracks should have a fold button, so you can collapse the faders within a group and be left with the master showing. --Or assign a buss to a folder, as Studio One does:

https://youtu.be/nAxfPEqMp-I

-mk.

Nick D.
                Participant

you can create a folder for all group tracks, however, I keep the groups with the tracks in the respective folder. Now in the Cubase mix window, is where you need to go to set up what you want to see, and use the multiple mixers for different things and pull them up on macros. On Cubase 8 you can also create workspaces, within a project or globally to every project. so you can use the function buttons (I think) and bring up different workspace settings, such as only guitar tracks, or only group tracks, or anything you can think of.

Cubase does a very similar functions that the video shows. you have to go to the mixer window and all the folders created will be there and you can show or hide any track you want in any mix window. The only difference I see is that in Cubase the folder tracks do not open in the project window from the mixer or vice versa (which I wouldn't want personally because every time you expand. In the mix window on the left of the mixer you should be able to select whatever tracks you want to see with the visibility and zone pane and even change that further under channel types button. If you use actual folder tracks as I was talking about, you can easily expand and collapse and choose within the folder what you want to see in the mix window. with Cubase 8 and the workspace feature you can really expand on that, and it is really easy to setup. currently I just have a tracking, editing, and mixing workspace over global, but I use multiple monitors and do not see the need for more.

It looks like Studio One sort of uses a bus as a folder track, where Cubase uses a folder as a container, but allows certain edit/record functions for everything within the folder.

Mike Krowiak
                  Participant

TH: I'll look into Workspaces more closely, which I do have in 7.5. My Mix Console 1 keeps losing its zoom setting, so I've been using Console 3, but maybe I can force them to remember their settings with Workspaces...

Thanks for all your suggestions!

Lee Hawkins
                    Participant

Ah yes. Cubase 8 introduced a complete overhaul of the work spaces and windows. Cubase 8 is a huge improvement over 7.5 in my opinion. Particularly in Windows too.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Lee Hawkins.
                      Mike Krowiak
                      Participant

Lee: Thanks for the input. Seems there are many workflow improvements in 8 and 8.5. Now that I'm leaning back toward Cubase as my main DAW, 8.5 looks like a no-brainer... Unless I try to wait for 9... 🙂

Do you draw much automation in Cubase's project window? I still miss Pro Tools' ability to adjust the automation area within a selection without cutting the region or manually adding edit events. I use a Cubase script/macro that makes 4 events (2 at the top of the selection & 2 at the tail), changes modes and selects the inner 2 events, but it's a little unreliable and only works on part volume.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Mike Krowiak.
                        Christopher Feeney
                        Participant

FYI. I got into Cubase with Essentials 8 since my guitar/mixing/music instructor used Cubase 8 Pro. Boy they give you a lot for $99. Anyway, Cubase Essential 8 project files exchange well with Pro. And we did some session work on Monday and he sent the project back to me and it re-loaded into Essentials no problem. Of course, I only used stock plug-ins or ones I knew we both had.

For what it is worth...

Wolfgang Huemer
                          Participant

I startet with, I think steinberg cubase sx 3 (?), about 10-12 years ago... an updated till cubase 6.5.
                            I need to buy a newer Mac (which I`m looking for), to get the actual version. But on the other hand, it works even with the 6.5 Version! 🙂
                            For me as Austrian, where we speak German, it was as a German product the most knowed and advertised DAW in my region. Thats why I use it - and Im happy with it.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 58 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.