Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Producing A Song With... "Side by Side" - The Workday Release

Tagged: 

• This topic has 104 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Kyle Jedrusiak.
Viewing 9 posts - 97 through 105 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Jason Davenport
    Participant

Thanks for the listen and feedback Kian, I really appreciate it!

Kian Sparke
      Participant

Cool man! Enjoyed your ideas and mix! ?

Jason Davenport
        Participant

Hi Lisa,

Hope you are enjoying your vacation! Eagle sightings are great. I live on a fairly large lake (40 square miles) here in East Texas, and we have at least 3 nesting pairs of Bald Eagles scattered around. Cool to see them hunting over the water!

I think sometimes people are hesitant to tell someone something is bad. No one wants to offend. The whole idea of this place is to let several sets of unbiased ears listen to your mix/production and offer honest opinions on them. My family won't tell me if a mix is terrible, they don't want to hurt my feelings. Sometimes I think that filters in to the feedback as no one wants to hurt feelings. If the critique is done with a constructive mindset, most of the time people will take it as such. I have only seen one instance where a guy got upset about a critique in the Academy. When I listen to a mix, I am not thinking about the technical as much as I focus on the creativity, and the energy. If a mix has great energy and creativity, the technicals don't matter as much to me. I had two trains of thought running as to why no one commented on my mix. Either it was so good, that it scared them away πŸ™‚ Or it was so terrible that no one wanted to touch it πŸ˜‰

I was actually thinking about trying to move the vocal back a beat as you suggested. That might help the song groove a little better. I did an acoustic version of Little Empire's "Too Bad" and had a similar issue. Warren suggested moving my guitar back one beat, and that made all the difference in the world! Posted this mix up for FF, maybe Warren will give me some suggestions as well!

Thanks for the reply, and the congratulations! Congrats to you as well, 25 years is a long time to do anything πŸ™‚ They say time flies when you are having fun, but I have no idea where it flies to πŸ™‚ Enjoy the rest of you vacation, and Happy Fourth to you!

Nick Koumoutseas
          Participant

[quote quote=47343]Hi Nick -- Wow. It's really interesting and different. In a good way. I love that you left so much out! It makes more room for the fx on everything else. I hear the fx but must confess I don't have enough experience to identify them. Flange? (I don't even own a pedal board. I'm so lame.) And Warren's bass is one of the best things about the song -- he really likes playing bass, you can see it in the video. It's a wonderful thing to feature. Was that a guitar or synth you added? Not listening on my usual headphones and there are fireworks going off outside my window. And you are very good at drum replacement, I think. Although I might be wrong about the "replaced" part. With some massaging (relaxing the fx a bit and blending it all together a little more), could be amazing. : )[/quote]

Just Lisa! Thanks. I really love this song and maybe it shows. While I mixed and pondered, an image came up over and over again: the stroll... an old bandstand favorite in the late 50's and pre-Beatles.
            Play this video and replace the audio with Side by Side
            https://www.google.com/search?source=hp&ei=B-A_W_TmKOjI_Qb-gbHwBA&q=the+stroll&oq=the+stroll&gs_l=psy-ab.3..35i39k1j0l6j0i67k1j0l2.1069.2802.0.3044.11.10.0.0.0.0.117.781.9j1.10.0....0...1c.1.64.psy-ab..1.10.780.0..0i131k1j0i20i264k1j0i131i20i264k1j0i10k1.0.4yRHTZn45jc

I played flugelhorn, trumpet and very jazzy rhodes piano. I added nothing else and I am not sure I took anything out. the TAL chorus is free and so is the cheap Klanghelm compressor (both are on the bass).
            No drum replacement just squashing, parallel everything, gain riding (reverb send automation and volume automation).

I am going to mix it again later in summer when I am not busy. Your comments will be part of my guidance. That you found it "interesting" is important to me.

Jay Peters
            Participant

Hi all !

This has taken so long to get the people i wanted to play on this track.
              Let me know your thoughts please

All the best
              Jay

https://soundcloud.com/jaygo1/side-by-side-final/s-ZPk4I

Martin Emmersdorfer
              Participant

Hello,

I just joined the Academy, and I wanted to watch the videos, they show mixing the songs "side by side" and "conditions", but I canΒ΄t find them, please help! πŸ™‚

Brian McLaughlin
                Participant

try here:
                  https://www.producelikeapro.com/downloads-all-academy/

I only downloaded the vocal and guitar tracks when they first went up, but I think more downloads were made available as they tracked the song.

Have fun!

Jay Peters
                  Participant

Hey all, I've been meaning to finish this mix for ages. I recorded new drums, bass and piano tracks with a few friends and added some guitars and BV's later myself. Any feedback welcome on how I can improve this mix.

All the best
                    Jay

https://soundcloud.com/jaygo1/the-workday-release-side-by-side-mixed-by-jay-peters/s-Hn2KwHWlFJT

Kyle Jedrusiak
                    Participant

Here is my second mix of "Side By Side".Β  Chose from the stems provided and worked with what I had.Β  Small amount of production.Β  It's dirty and raw per some of Warren's techniques.

https://clyp.it/1orn3yau

Viewing 9 posts - 97 through 105 (of 105 total)
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.