Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Producing A Song With... "Side by Side" - The Workday Release

Tagged: 

• This topic has 104 replies, 34 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Kyle Jedrusiak.
Viewing 12 posts - 73 through 84 (of 105 total)
  • Author
    Nick Koumoutseas
    Participant

Hi Everyone,

I've been listening to all the great mixes and learning a lot and thanks to Warren for opening "the book", having a lot of fun.
      My version of side by side has a Trumpet/Flugelhorn counter melody that accentuates the embedded 3/4 feeling and adds a kind of hopeful feeling. I remember watching older teens dance "the stroll" on American Bandstand. Such confidence! Imagining that memory put a little swagger into the attitude of the mix. I would like to hear Michael Buble sing this (of course, with Frank's orchestra in the mix). Maybe a duet with a female singer would work really well.

I was testing out my new partially finished diy home studio acoustics / speakers. Also, first use of many VSTs including a ton of CLA-1176 black and blue, tons of fabfilter, Waves, TAL, Valhalla, Tony Maserati, Fix, Klanghelm.

I also mixed "Little Love" from Ashliegh Watson alternating during January between the two very different songs. Playing in car on PC, iPad, Galaxy8.

Brian McLaughlin
      Participant

Hi All,

I've been fiddling with this track as time allows and finally decided to post something. I just purchased some Yamaha HS5's and I have been experimenting with some room treatment, so I really have no idea what this "really" sounds like.

I used the original acoustic guitar and vocal tracks and added everything else myself. I tried to commit early on, but this song could obviously go in a number of different directions.

Huge thanks to David and Warren for making these tracks available

As always, I would appreciate any constructive criticism and tips from the community.

Cheers!

Brian McLaughlin

https://soundcloud.com/user-465701022/side-by-side-plap-mix

p.s. Since this is my first post, I not sure if the Soundcloud link will work and have attached an mp3 just in case. Still learning the ropes here!

Brian McLaughlin
        Participant

Yup, screwed that up... Here's the attached file.

Jay Peters
          Participant

Wrong place .. oops

Nick Koumoutseas
            Participant

Hi Everyone,
              I love this song. Even wrote some flugelhorn for it.
              I'm treating the feel as if it were from late '50s when young teens danced "the stroll" Check it out on YouTube.
              So also interesting is that I used https://app.LANDR.com to "robo master" the song.
              I hope you like it.
              Nick

Dylan Fischer
              Participant

Here is my mix of the song. It's basically just a mix of the files that were given but I did replace most of the guitars using the DI tracks to reamp them using the Ampeg V4B & 212 cab in Amplitube.

https://soundcloud.com/fischtankstudios/the-workday-release-side-by-side-dylan-fischer-mix

Just Lisa
                Participant

Update 6-24-2018
                  Just after posting this, I was inspired by Warren's interview with Ken Scott to get my Ronno on and add the strings and guitar solo I had in my head. It's still not the greatest mix, but the ideas are sound. I posted in the Feedback area: https://www.producelikeapro.com/forums/topic/side-by-side-just-lisa-mix/

Hi --
                  Question: has the vocal track been re recorded? I found more files yesterday but the 'new' track is almost identical to the old (Lewitt) track.
                  Finally watched the Youtube videos... it looked like a lot of fun.
                  : )

And here is my mix...
                  I've been working in Studio One for just a couple of months.
                  Just listened to it by this link and discovered that this version seems to be missing one of its reverb/vocal SC compressors.
                  It's a steep learning curve.
                  https://soundcloud.com/just-lisa-3/side-by-side-workday-release-plap

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Just Lisa.
                  • This reply was modified 6 years ago by Just Lisa.
                  • This reply was modified 5 years ago by Just Lisa.
                  Jesper
                  Participant

Late to the party but here is my version of side by side.

Cheers!

Jesper

https://soundcloud.com/jesper-waller/the-workday-release-side-by-side-remix-by-jesper-waller

Just Lisa
                    Participant

Hi Jake --
                      This track is probably old news for most of the group, I guess.
                      Question: what did you do to the vocal track? It sounds great.
                      I could use a clue.
                      Thanks.
                      Lisa

Jake Thorne
                      Participant

LOL, I got the email with your question and I was so stoked someone asked about my little old version. Now as I see this I think you meant the one directly above, Jesper not Jake. It's all good, and it made me laugh. But now I'm curious too Jesper.

Best
                        Jake

Just Lisa
                        Participant

No, I meant you, Jake. This forum set up is odd and not very busy. You got your vocal to be very warm and appealing and I've been having trouble with that. Partly a 'taste' issue for sure. Can't stand female singers at all.
                          Lisa

John Dragich
                          Participant

I mixed this song a while ago, couldn't find where to submit it for feedback, so I forgot about it. Well, Warren critiqued a mix of it on feedback Friday, and I remembered the mix, found this site, and decided to try to get some feedback.

Thanks,
                            John

https://soundcloud.com/user83515226/side-by-side_9

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by John Dragich.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 73 through 84 (of 105 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.