Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Cubase: Recording and Mixing Let's talk about CUBASE!

• This topic has 115 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Ludo Charpentier.
Viewing 12 posts - 97 through 108 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Rob Simpson
    Participant

Yes, that totally clarifies the situation, and the options we have available. Thanks, Chris!

VHT
      Participant

@Chris Selim Thanks for the advice!

Tim

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by VHT.
        Marc Van Der Meer
        Participant

Hi @chris Selim!

Just discovered your videos and your course. Great stuff! I was wondering if you could help me with the following: I'm trying to incorporate some hardware in my setup. Because I don't own much more then a compressor and a preamp, a patchbay is ofcourse a bit crazy. I do however like the possibility of being somewhat flexible and have the compressor available for tracking, but also for mixing. To be really honest, I have always ignored the input channels in Cubase, not knowing what they're there for, besides showing I have a signal.

Could I just add an external effect and put that on an input channel so that affects all channels on the way in, and move it as insert of a channel after recording (when mixing)? Since I record one track at a time most of the time.

Or are there benefits of physically go from Mic->Preamp->Compressor->Cubase? And then later reconnect the cables?

I could of course put it as an insert on a track, but that would mean I have to mix down every track seperately.

Are there any benefits to one way over the other? Or is it really a matter of preference and aren't there any other benefits from one way over the other?

Marc

Timothy Jones
          Participant

Hey Chris, fellow Cubase Pro 10 user, and love your channel for Cubase tips and tricks! Btw, there's a new plugin manufacturer, Nembrini Audio, that has developed a VST of the ProTools Sansamp. I bought it and it friggen rules. I think it's better than Pro Tools sansamp. It has more features, such as a random generator, sort of like Brainworx has in their console plugins (TMT). It's much tighter in the mids and I'm loving what it does on bass. They also have LoFi, modeled on ProTools' LoFi plugin. The owner is Igor Nembrini, who worked with UAD and Brainworx. He will be releasing a Soldano SLO100 amp sim soon. I've been emailing with him just tell him it's about time someone came out with a VST Sansamp (i know there is the free AXP thing, but I have never liked the sound of it) and he's been very nice to me. So I'm letting everyone know what a good startup this is, and his plugins are really top notch. Check it out.

Chris Selim
            Keymaster

@Marc Van Der Meer Happy you like my channel πŸ™‚ To answer your question if you want to use an external compressor during tracking, record with the compressor Mic->Preamp->Compressor->Cubase, one of the goals on recording with compression is to control the dynamics before the converters. If you insert your compressor as an insert on an Input channel, it will compress after being converted into digital. Hope that helps πŸ™‚

Chris Selim
              Keymaster

@Timothy Jones Hey Tim, thanks for the info. That sounds great, I will definitely get in touch with Igor and put my hands on this plugin πŸ™‚ Thanks again!

Marc Van Der Meer
                Participant

Thanks a lot Chris! Did not think about that. Will do that. And then probably re-connect it when I get to mixing. Or buy a ton of hardware so I can justify a patchbay.

Michael Garding
                  Participant

Anyone else having problems with ARA?? For about a month or so now I cannot locates my
                    Extensions tab in the drop down Audio tab, or in the info bar.
                    Had it a while ago, now just disappeared. I did update melodyne editor 4.2.3 to 4.2.4.
                    EDIT: It's now working, but why did this happen?

Michael Garding
                    Participant

Hey Chris, Is there a problem you know of with the installer for VST Connect PRo 4.0.42? I just purchased, and
                      installed it (I've tried several times), and it just will not show up in Cubase I'm on 10.5.12). I'm at a loss here.
                      Connect Se shows up in the VST cloud dropdown menu, but that's it. When i go to uninstall with IObit, it shows up as
                      VST Connect 64. when i click on details, there is no file path, which i find strange. It will uninstall and leave me
                      with Connect Se, so at least there's that. Maybe you've heard of some sort of installer problem.
                      Michael

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Michael Garding.
                      Michael Garding
                      Participant

Hey Chris, first of all, thanks for all you do for the Cubase community!! I am seriously thinking about multiple UR824's

for my studio. (I currently have an Allen & Heath GS-R24). I usually track full bands and am planning on recording my entire big band (17 piece) for various

projects. I am wondering if you can route 4 cue mixes out of UR824 mixer, and 4 additional cue mixes from Cubase

using the secondary Ur824. Thanks

Michael Garding

Edit: I just realized that the video of your 'unboxing' wasn't the UR824, but the UR RT4. (unless you recently bought theΒ  824 and

know everything there is to know about it!!!!! LOL)

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Michael Garding.
                        Christian Baldeon
                        Participant

@timothy jones I went to Nembrini Audio web page, but I don't see any SamsAmp emulation. Or maybe it has another name?

Thanks in advance.

Rainer Busenbender
                          Participant

Hi Chris,

wondering if you still use the AXR 4, and if you are missing Control Room, and if you still recommend it?

Thanx,

Rainer

Viewing 12 posts - 97 through 108 (of 116 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.