Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Cubase: Recording and Mixing Let's talk about CUBASE!

• This topic has 115 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Ludo Charpentier.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 116 total)
  • Author
    Chris Selim
    Keymaster

Kip,

Check out my video on gain staging in Cubase that I did 1-year ago.. https://youtu.be/6DVsO0-7lIM
      I actually talk about the meter colors and how to set them up for gain staging in Cubase.

I might do a new one on the PLAP channel.

Michael B
      Participant

Cool. Thanks Chris. The peak v average is a good point. I need to think about average as well.

When we get mixes in the academy, we didn't record any of it. And in general I'd say much of it is much too hot for analog sim plugins. I see a lot of guys just using the last plugin output to get the gain right for the next stsge. I am expirementing too much with different things so prefer to adjust it on the track.

Thanks again.

Warren Huart
        Keymaster

That would be great Chris! Anything like that, that is pertinent to Cubase would be amazing for us to all know! Thanks for your help!

Michael B
          Participant

Greg O posted a cool video on markers and project nav.
            I approach it a bit differently. What do you all do?

I find that most of the time I used to use markers, I actually was better off with the arranger track and navigate by event with N and B (this works with any track events. For temp stuff I used to use a marker but then you have to clean that up. Instead I now use the left and right locators. Command 1 and 2 on numpad to set. 1 and 2 on numpad to navigate. These are so easy to use I now keep the transport setting return to start off. Now the only thing left for markers is like a to do list (fix this here). I used to wonder why Cubase doesn't have a key command for going back and forth a bar. Using my above nav approach, I no longer need those and my hands stay off the mouse more often.

Chris Selim
            Keymaster

I didn't see Greg's vid on Markers yet but I will for sure. On my side, I use Makers on most projects and navigate with the Num Pad for quick access to a specific Marker. Fast and easy 🙂

Michael B
              Participant

A quick update to my earlier question about Cubase performance on a Mac. Freezing an occasional track is still needed and useful but I found a problem that I think was really hurting performance.

I occasionally use Izotope RX on vocal tracks. I noticed in my undo history that it was adding an action to the undo stack over and over, even when the track wasn't playing. Removing the insert improved performance. Now if I use it I will use offline processing for sure. And check that undo stack!

Cheers. Michael

Chris Selim
                Keymaster

The new offline processing system in 9.5 is quite amazing and like in your case, it can save the day.
                  BTW, got some Hackintosh problems on my studio computer...back on windows 10 for now.
                  We'll see how that goes.

Michael B
                  Participant

Dang. Was flip flopping on building a Windows machine for the studio or going Hack. I was considering a 1TB SSD for the macbook pro but I could build a Win computer with more drive and menory for not much more. 2800-5800 is just not feasible.

Laurence Coch
                    Participant

I’ve Always used a Pc for music. Currently I have an i7 6 core with 32gig of memory 256g ssd for operating days and programs and 2tb data drives for audio data. I also have a uad2 octo card which helps when using the iAd plugins.

Also I have found 2 great controller products to use in any daw. One is the elegato streamdeck. It’s a 15 button panel that allows you to program keystrokes to the buttons and each button has an lcd screen behind it so you can put custom jpgs on the buttons. I used the snipping tool in windows to grab some of the buttons I use in Cubase use in Cubase and then put them on streamdeck buttons then tie it to a key command.
                      The second is the pallet gear modular buttons,knobs& faders. These snap together in any layout and you can assign midi cc’s to the faders an knobs and either keystrokes or midi notes to the buttons. The basic kit comes with a fader,2 buttons,& a knob. I use these to control the control room volume and headphone volume, the dim and talkback and control room mute. I am making a video of how I use these with Cubase and will post the link once it is up

Laurence Coch
                      Barn Door Recording
                      Barndoorrecording.com

Chris Selim
                      Keymaster

Hey Laurence,

Never heard of those, they look cool! can't wait to check out your video...keep us posted 🙂

Chris

Laurence Coch
                        Participant

Going to finish editing this weekend then will post it

Laurence Coch

Jim Berry
                          Participant

Hello Chris, my name is Jim and I'm from West Virginia, US. I'm running QB Artist 9.5 but ready to upgrade to Pro. I follow your channel regularly. I'm now a PLAP member and am very happy to see a group of QB users here. Warren's videos are excellent and his work ethic is second to none. Please continue...

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 116 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.