Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Feedback Friday's for Production

• This topic has 59 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Hey Michael!

I agree a lottery-like system would be the simplest. But I think we need to make the most of Warren's time and make the most of the experience in the Academy.

For example, you could offer a wealth of advice for inexperience guitars trying record their first demos. We don't need Warren to tell a guitarist to change their strings, tune their guitar properly, record to a click track etc. We can do that ourselves.

Tobi
      Keymaster

Thanks Michael - much appreciated! We can go back and forth on ideas here in the forum. ...that way other members can add their own suggestions etc. 🙂

Tobi
        Keymaster

I'm loving the ideas you're coming up with... I'd love to start encouraging more member collaborations - sounds like you have a lot of experience with that.

I was thinking maybe a 'cover song' contest. Create production teams (like you suggested for mixing). Could be a lot of fun!

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Tobi.
          Michael Hordorwich
          Participant

yeah i can offer guitar bass and drum advice as im a teacher of all but in a different facet like you said toby, proper tuning and i would include instrument setup, intonation, proper baffling on drums, drum tuning, using a capo etc, different gauge strings for a certain tone/song and so many other things to offer. I Used to teach at a music store but now just teach out of my home. I do believe having instrument knowledge helps you with your engineering and producing. I Have my engineering degree but to be honest i've learned more on my own than i did from school but it did help and the degree in my studio wall looks good i guess lol. Well toby you seem as passionate and dedicated as i am so maybe we could help warren out actually assist him with this part of the forum and some great ideas. I do have extra time now as i have admins in my groups and they help me run it so much. I never thought i'd pay to join a recording site like this but after watching warren's youtube videos and seeing his genuine love for music,gear and people plus he just happens to be a great songwriter, producer and musician i finally found a person who i want learn from. It was a bonus meeting guys like you in here with the talent and passion so i made a wise decision and will continue to promote PLAP Acadamy on all my social media forums,blogs and sites. Anyways whatever happens i'm glad we met and think we can share and collaborate together. Sorry long message lol but i can talk music all day and night. I guess first thing is getting this passed. Also i made a post about mixing teams etc. so i believe you and i are on the same wavelength and i'd say let's get some stuff going! Here's to making it happen toby. Send me your email so i can send you all my ideas. I agree we need to come up with to best way to utilize warrens time because i enjoy all his workings not just here but the studio tours etc. So thats the biggest key is time and like i said it may have to be an extra fee imo to make it happen and then would also when people pay for something they end up usually putting more time in and take it more seriously. Ok i'm done for now lol Keep rocking and recording and lets email buddy. Sincerely, michael

Michael Hordorwich
            Participant

Toby you'd make a great moderater and i'd love to be your assistant by your side with all of this, if you want and other members are cool with it. I have experience doing these type of things plus i would be non biased and fair. I responded to your other comment above with some more ideas.I think i can offer up ideas and bring something to the table and i have no power struggle at all or ego i have confidence in my skills as a multi-instrumentalist, lead/rhythm guitar,bass,drums,piano,bck vox, songwriter, session musician, touring as jimmy page in a famous Zep tribute, signed to a local chicago label,played on wxrt and the loop,recorded at some of the top studios and much more just wanted to show i have lots of experience and i dont just talk i have proof a resume if needed as the only reason i say that is after all my groups i run there are so many talkers and one uppers i cant stand that. I find talent in all people and love it here and music in all aspects and love doing things like this and dont mind spending time on them with total transparency in mind. Of course the idea of warren critiquing my original compositions im looking forward to as wearing so many hats and doing so much in music for the last 38 years, i'm 44 now started when i was 6 and out of all my skill sets from songwriting to session lead/rhtym guitar,bass drums, producer, entertainer, teacher, manager, ,arranger, studio owner, etc. I feel my weakest link after going in the box is my mixing as i tend to overdue it, utilize to many plugs, tracks etc, i feel my best mixes were when i was limited but it doesn't have to stop me or be that way thats why im hereHere's to making it happen and working with you on this if you want. If not Im just happy to be here with all you talented people i,ve met so far. Thanks for all your feedback and input and i will do whatever is needed. Thanks. Sincerely,Michael Hordorwich

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Michael Hordorwich.
              Arthur Labus

Agree - that should work that way, but i am think it would be better to clear it right from the start for everybody.

Tobi
                Keymaster

Hey Michael!

I think it'd be great for the two of us to be moderators. I think having a new member would help make the other new members feel more included.

It's really helped me having your feedback - helped me look at the idea and break it down to purely what it needs to be. I think the simplified version reads much better and is much easier to understand.

I have a tendency to overthink things... too many ideas, that's my problem! 😉

Toby.

Jeff Macdonald

I liked the idea of the collaborative cover idea I think we should brainstorm about turning it into a production contest. That might be a really interesting way to start this personal production thing off.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Jeff Macdonald.
                    Tobi
                    Keymaster

I agree, it could be really cool. On a not unrelated subject, are you set up record drums in your studio?

Jeff Macdonald

I most certainly am. I'm still playing with the room a bit, but I am getting happier an happier with the sounds I'm getting.

Michael Hordorwich
                        Participant

Yes toby. Hopefully it'll all work out.

Michael Hordorwich
                          Participant

I'm also setup at my new location with my drums. I put down some drum tracks and now it's the fun time jeff and toby, finding the sweet spots in the room for the room mics.I know you know what i mean as It can be fun but make you cringe at times especially when you get your drums setup perfectly with your own set and a client comes in and their drummer insists on using his own kit. I try to tell the drummer he can change the drum around a little and bring his own bass drum pedal and maybe a few cymbals but to please try my kit which is an awesome pearl with custom zildjan and paiste cymbals miced perfect and sounding great and sometimes they are just too stubborn. Funny story real quick sorry lol i had a guy bring in an old tama set with root toms and micing the rototoms took some time as he had old dead heads on them and it was the first time for me in the studio micing them but i got them sounding like neil pearts kit and on the 3 songs they played he never hit the darn rototoms once. I mean cmon what a waste of studio time although i didn't charge for setup back then but learned a big lesson. Anyways just had to tell you guys cause it was too funny. Let me ask you guys what is your goto's for micing the drum kit. For me always a 57 snare and hi hat actually and sm81's oh's, i like my c414's as rooms and beta 52 kick, i have 6 421's and use them on all toms. What are your favs?

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 60 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.