Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Feedback Friday's for Production

• This topic has 59 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Warren Huart
    Keymaster

Ok sounds great! So can we get a clear idea of what the thread would look like? Let's get this thing going! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Tobi
      Keymaster

The devil's in the detail with this one. Uh Oh... I have a cunning plan 😉

Member Nominations

1. Each month PLAPA members can nominate another member's track for feedback.

a) They do this by creating a new topic in the 'soon to be created' Member Production Feedback Thread.

b) They must include the following :
        i) a link to the original posting
        ii) reasons for their nomination

2. Other members can then '2nd' the nomination by replying to the topic, stating their reasons why.

3. At the end of each week the productions with the most nominations get included in Feedback Friday.

4. Once included in Feedback Friday, the topic for that production is closed by a moderator.

----------RULES------------

1. Each member can only nominate one new production per calendar month.

2. Each member can '2nd' / support as many nominations as they like.

3. Members can not nominate their own track. Sorry. Deal with it.

---------Guidelines---------

1. The number of nominated productions featured in Feedback Friday can vary, depending on time constraints etc.

2. When nominating a production, members should consider the following :

a) Has the production been developed as much as possible by member feedback?

b) Does the production feature work by more than one PLAPA member?

c) Has the member responsible for the production already received feedback for one of their productions?

d) Why is this production ready for Warren's feedback?

3. Productions seeking nomination are simply posted, as they are now, in the personal mixes thread.

------------

Hope that all makes sense. Feel free to add, subtract or ignore as you see fit 😉

Jeff Macdonald

I like what you have presented, Toby, but I am going to put on my 'devil's advocate hat' here for a moment and throw out a couple of items for consideration.

We will need to ensure that there is fair and impartial access to Warren's feedback. I feel a nomination structure like this has the potential to favour the more advanced producers. I realize there is some benefit in this as it will drive folks to really polish a product before submission; however, sometimes it's really good learning to get a raw impression on something that is not quite where it should be. Also, most people want to get the tips from the prof, so there is that aspect to keep in mind. I guess the "why is this ready for Warren's feedback" part is the sticky bit for me. Music is extremely subjective and I have heard some commercially successful productions that are not what I would consider to be viable, or in any way marketable, but alas they sold. I would hate to see these sorts of productions overlooked for consideration.

How do we ensure that members only get one nomination per month? Will this be based in good faith? I assume this would work, but I think it's something we should look at to ensure fairness.

Overall though, I think a format like this would create a significant value for everyone in it would create discussion and excitement in each other's creations.

Anyhow, just a couple of thoughts I'd been having regarding how the process could work.

Cheers,

Jeff

Tobi
          Keymaster

You have a devil's advocate hat? ...cool. I picture something viking-like, but with flames coming out of the top of it 😉

The guidelines are intended to create a framework for evaluating a nomination, but they're by no means hard and fast rules. A member could simply explain, why they like the production. We could attach a note to the guidelines, so it's clearer.

In regard to Rule 1. Each member can only nominate one new production per calendar month. , I think this would pretty much police itself... but would could make member's obliged to write the date of the last new production, they nominated.

The point about it favoring more advanced producers is a tricky one. In a way it should, as other PLAPA member will be able to help with the more fundamental technical issues.

Having said that, as you say, it does come down to personal taste as well. I think there's enough range of tastes and opinions within the Academy, that all types of production will appeal to some members.

There may well be people who do not want feedback from PLAPA members at all and only from Warren - aka The Guru aka The King Of Creativity. ...buut, if they have that attitude, do they really deserve his feedback in the first place? After all, this is a community. We all help each other.

I take the point that an unpolished production may be of more educational value than a polished one. Perhaps we could have different categories of production :

1) Beginner
            2) Intermediate
            3) Advanced

We also have to decide if all productions are eligible for feedback. Should competition entries or professional productions (for paying clients) be eligible for feedback?

Perhaps Warren could offer a separate premium service for professionals seeking his feedback as a Producer?

We may also need a moderator/(s) to keep an eye on the nomination system and make sure everything is running well. I'm happy to volunteer.

Good stuff! Thanks for taking the time to read and comment. I think we're getting there. Just need to work out all the kinks.

Jeff Macdonald

I think you nailed it with the categories - it certainly takes any of the issues I put forward out of the mix. That might be the ticket to keep things moving nicely, especially as the community grows. Sadly the devil's advocate hat is more of a touque (as we say here in Canada) or beanie for seemingly the rest of the world and is sorely lacking in the horns department.

I think this would work very well if moderated and categorized. I would certainly put my vote in to have you administer it as well.

I think this framework should work well and we can always tweak it slightly as we go.

Cris Sabater Sabater
              Participant

This sounds like a very good idea! Hope it comes along some time in the future. Cheers. 🙂

Tobi
                Keymaster

Uh oh... it's the revised version....

Member Nominations (Revised Version)

1. Each month PLAPA members can nominate another member's track for feedback.

a) They do this by creating a new topic in the 'soon to be created' Member Production Feedback Thread.

b) They must include the following :
                  i) The 'experience level*' of the production in the topic title. There are 3 levels :
                  a) Beginner
                  b) Intermediate
                  c) Advanced
                  ii) a link to the original posting
                  iii) reasons for their nomination

*Experiences levels are intended to help encourage Producers of all backgrounds and skill levels to upload productions. First and foremost PLAPA is a safe place to learn. There are no experts!

2. Other members can then '2nd' the nomination by replying to the topic, stating their reasons why.

3. At the end of each week the productions with the most nominations get included in Feedback Friday.

4. Once included in Feedback Friday, the topic for that production is closed by a moderator.

----------RULES------------

1. Each member can only nominate one new production per calendar month.

2. Each member can '2nd' / support as many nominations as they like.

3. Members can not nominate their own track. Sorry. Deal with it.

4. Members cannot 'vote down' nominations. Support or nothing.

---------Guidelines---------

1. The number of nominated productions featured in Feedback Friday can vary, depending on time constraints etc.

2. When nominating a production, members might consider the following* :

a) Has the production been developed as much as possible by member feedback?

b) Does the production feature work by more than one PLAPA member?

c) Has the member responsible for the production already received feedback for one of their productions?

d) Most importantly, why do they like the production?

*Members are free to nominate a production, simply because they like it. The guidelines are only suggestions.

3. Productions seeking nomination are simply posted, as they are now, in the personal mixes thread.

------------Moderator----------

A moderator will almost certainly be required to oversee the nominations and help members get used to the new system etc. I'm happy to volunteer for this. And not just because I'm a power crazy maniac, but also because after 7 years of teaching I believe wholeheartedly in what Warren is building here.

------------ELIGIBLE PRODUCTIONS-----------

We need to decide if professional productions (for a paying client), are eligible for Feedback.

I'm inclined to say, that pro productions should be dealt with separately, by Warren setting up a Premium service for feedback. Afterall, his experience as Producer is extremely valuable, if there's a budget for the production, there should be some financial recognition of that value.

However where you draw the line between pro production, and low budget production, to doing it at cost for a favor to the band, etc... I'm not sure and could be problematic.

And, of course, Warren may be too busy and/or have no interest in setting up a Premium Feedback service.

-----

As always, feel free to add, subtract or ignore 😉

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Tobi. Reason: Eligible Productions (after thought)
                  Jeff Macdonald

I think this is excellent. But that's just my humble opinion. I think it really deals with all aspects that it should. I really look forward to this becoming a reality.

Tobi
                    Keymaster

Thanks Jeff!

Tobi
                      Keymaster

An additional point occurred to me :

Member Collaborations

Are members who worked on a production (but did not produce it) allowed to nominate the production / support the nomination?

The simplest solution is to say that if your worked on a production you cannot nominate it.

We could allow members who worked on a production to support the nomination, but this would give an advantage to member collaborations over other productions. If you a production had three or four PLAPA members working on it, it would immediately start off with three or four supporting nominations.

...but maybe member collaborations should have an advantage?

Conversely, if we say people who worked on a production cannot nominate or support that nomination, we actually disadvantage member collaborations. If you a production had three or four PLAPA members working on it, it would immediately start off with three or four less potential supporting nominations.

...it might an idea to allow members who worked on a production to support the nomination, as it could encourage more collaboration within the Academy.

-----

As usual, feel free to add, subtract, ignore 🙂

Tobi
                        Keymaster

At the risk of pushing a good idea to far (something I'm inclined to do), another thought occurs :

New Members / Old Multitracks

Could we use the nomination system to facilitate feedback on old multitracks by new members?

...or is it best to concentrate on member productions? (let's face it, there's going to be loads of them)

Hemke Kay
                          Participant

+1! Great Idea!

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 60 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.