Academy Dashboard Forum Academy Academy Lesson Suggestions Feedback Friday's for Production

• This topic has 59 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sweet
    Participant

Hi warren, would love to do a feedback Friday on work we're currently producing to see how we can make our productions better in terms of arrangement and overall production. I think it would further enhance the mentorship aspect of this community.

Rich Zei
      Participant

Second the idea Chris.

Mdjagg

+100. Been asking for this since I signed up. If this becomes a regular thing I'll renew my membership in December.

Maurice Beekman
          Participant

+1

Mark Moore
            Participant

Hear! Hear!

Warren Huart
              Keymaster

Hi Guys, can I get better insight and clarify a few things with you? How would we choose? Maybe once a month we do member submissions and choose 10 songs? My question is really how do we choose these songs fairly? If we get a huge amount, which is very likely, then I would everyone to feel that we resent them fairly. I'm extremely open to the idea! I think it would be amazing!! Have a marvellous time making music! Creativity is King! Many thanks Warren

Jeff Macdonald

Some food for thought:

I think it could be a credit based system. Perhaps allow each PLAPA member 2 submission cerdits per enrollment period. (I just selected an arbitrary number here - could be higher, could be lower depending on how many songs and how often reviews will take place) I think limiting the number. From there it would just be a matter of getting in a queue similar to FBF, First-in-First out. Perhaps you could tack 3 reviews on per week after FBF reviews? Heck, you could even do a rush submission and charge a small fee to review anything in excess of the allotted amount for those of us who are more prolific and don't mind paying to get back in the queue.

Some additional thoughts: Could we explore the use of standard set of metrics for assessing this material? Perhaps comments regarding commercial viability, balance, dynamics, etc with each area getting a score? Maybe I am a bit too left-brained, but I think it would be nice to have a bar set so we can really hone our actions to get better.

I think this would be a fantastic addition to the curriculum. I look forward to this possibility!

Cheers,

Jeff

Warren Huart
                  Keymaster

Hi Jeff, thanks for your insight! Yes maybe that is one solution, we charge a nominal fee to go through submissions or the Academy vets them first? I'm excited to implement what people are looking for! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Jeff Macdonald

Hmm, I am not quite sure what would work better.

I belong to Taxi and they charge a $5 fee for each submission, and while it isn't a huge amount of money, it certainly takes away the "I'll throw this and see if it sticks" blind submissions. I see this as being slightly easier to administer than a panel based solution. You buy a credit, get a submission link, upload a file and get placed in a queue and get a review in sequential order.

I suppose you could assemble a committee of like minded and trusted academy members, with enough free time, to act as a triage team to vet prior to submission. As your opinion is the most valuable to most, I feel that having a committee vote to forward tracks for consideration may result in some feeling excluded, especially those just starting out. Honestly, I think there would be too many variables to make that an efficient process. But if it's run properly I think it could work.

I think a combo of a small number of free reviews coupled with a pay-to-listen after that threshold would be the ideal for the student, but with that said the tuition here is low enough that I personally would not be offended if this was an additional fee service.

That or maybe you could clone yourself so you'd have enough time? lol

Cheers,

Jeff

Tobi
                      Keymaster

Building on Jeff's suggestion of credits....

PLAPA Credits : the more active you are on the forum. the more credits you earn. Credits can be cashed in for membership discounts, 'personal project / production' Feedback, extra PLAP competition submissions, etc..

pille
                        Participant

I'm leaning towards the Academy to suggest one submission. This could be the most simple system. Also, we get to hear each others work :). The numbers of submissions per member and month could be no more than one and/or if it's too many, maybe a fixed total number of entries per month. Let say 15-25 to pick some numbers. If Warren then wants to pick another one than the "suggested", for educational reasons, it's really up to him. There might be submissions that are marvellous for educational purposes that does not get enough "votes".
                          //Per

Cris Sabater Sabater
                          Participant

Hi guys,this sounds like a good idea, whichever way Warren wants to do it would be good I think. This would really help a lot of people! Great idea. Cheers.:-)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 60 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.