• This topic has 140 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Ross Johnson.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Magnus Emilsson
    Participant

Ok, let us hear what you've come up with!

Chris Knowles
      Participant

I'm still working on mine but I found the lead vocals during the second part of the first Verse section ... interesting to say the least.  When I added any type of vocal enhancement, there were a couple of b's and p's that produced some very unique sounds. Not to be crass but to my ears it was something of a cross between Porky Pig and Daffy Duck :O

Makes for some interesting listening at 3am 😀

Magnus Emilsson
        Participant

Always interesting to see what other pick up on in the tracks, the bass was what was driving me nuts. The bassist has a tendency to push his playing in odd places I noticed. But of course the bass is a feature of my (re)mix.

Here's my submission to the contest, expertly mastered by PLAP member Tobi, https://soundcloud.com/emilsson/campaign-like-a-clockwork-patiently-magnus-emilsson-night-time-rmx

/Magnus

Chris Knowles
          Participant

Nice!

I'm a little stuck on mine.  Would love your thoughts.

<removed>

Revised version:

<removed>

<Edit>

Thanks for all the feedback - I think I've just bottomed out ... fix one thing, break ten ... anyway, good luck to all!!

</Edit>

Thanks again for any feedback.

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Chris Knowles. Reason: submitted a revised version to Soundcloud
            • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Chris Knowles.
            • This reply was modified 3 years ago by Chris Knowles. Reason: remove old/bad links
            Magnus Emilsson
            Participant

Christopher, did you upload an mp3 to soundcloud? Somethings sounds wrong with the high end, it's very wispy on the guitars on the sides and lacking some in the center. Sounds like a typical mp3 to opus transcoding issue.

If not I think you might focus on the high end area, the vocal is lacking some 4khz and up, the guitars feels like that as well.

/Magnus

• This reply was modified 3 years ago by Magnus Emilsson.
              Patrick Lesser
              Participant

Magnus, really nice remix! Drum'n'Rock'n'Bass 😀
                Soundwise everything on point! Only issue for me: the guitar-chords in the choruses play a little to early?!

Chrisopher
                have to agree Magnus: there is something "wrong" with your overall highend and presence of the vocal in particular...  beside this I really like the balance of your mix!

Zack Passman
                Participant

https://soundcloud.com/zack-passman/campaign-like-clockwork-patiently-mix-contest-2020 This is the mix I submitted. Would love to hear what others think

Chris Knowles
                  Participant

Thanks for the feedback, when I was listening to my reference device (my cell phone and some BT N/C headphones) I felt that the vocals were still a bit soft in the mix so I created a new one. Plus, the Lurssen was really pushing the upper khz's so I tweaked them down a bit.  Please let me know if this sounds any better and again, really appreciate the feedback!

I put the revised version link in my original post along with a note about hearing the static.

Chris Knowles
                    Participant

Hi Magnus,

Thanks and no, I uploaded a 24-bit wave.  As I mentioned to Patrick, I had been listening myself to the same mix and felt the vocals were not present enough and that I had noticed the Lurssen was pushing the upper Khzs so I tweaked them down a bit.  Here is the revised version I was already working with in 32-bit that I uploaded yesterday, would love your thoughts.

I put a link to the revised version in my original post and a note about the static ... thanks! It took me a while to hear it but I finally did. I have done something wonky up there between the vocals and the rhythm guitar (it is still in the revised mix, so I am still guessing it is me)

Chris Knowles
                      Participant

Hi Zack, I really liked the separation of sound at the beginning even though the bass felt a little thin (but that could have been a function of where I was listening).  The only other thing that jumped out at me were the vocals in the Chorus sections seem to lose clarity, I know they were wetter but it also seemed like they had a bit of a warble. Did you add a chorus or doubling effect that may be interacting poorly with your reverb?  Other than that man, nice mix!

Magnus Emilsson
                        Participant

Christopher, now the high end is sounding alright on everything except for a percussion loop(?) (something metallic sounding) that comes with the solo, on that one's it's a bit all over the place. Vocal might be a tad loud overall, but that might be a taste thing, and the kick/bass could use a touch more low end.

Overall a nice mix!

/Magnus

Magnus Emilsson
                          Participant

Hey Zack!

Listening, for my taste the mix lacks a bit of low end overall. I really like your vocal sound! The mix is overall balanced, nice work!

/Magnus

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 141 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.