Tagged: 

• This topic has 30 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Paul Motion.
Viewing 7 posts - 25 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Adam Williams
    Participant

I just realized I'd never used stock plugins(pro tools)....started out with the cla stuff ("drums" "guitars" etc.) then went onto other things....never the stock until now...mixed it and mastered it with stock also...it was fun..

https://soundcloud.com/adam-williams-mopotomus/no-chain?utm_source=clipboard&utm_medium=text&utm_campaign=social_sharing

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Adam Williams.
      • This reply was modified 1 year ago by Adam Williams.
      Paul Motion
      Participant

Hey Adam, good work. Kick sounds great and the panning choices at the break work really well with those synths.
        For me the verb is a bit full on. I suggest backing that off a bit. The hats audio track lowers in volume in the second half of the chorus. I know that’s in the original audio but they pretty much disappear in the track when that happens so some automation is needed there.
        There’s something that sounds like the tail of a verb or something else, right at the beginning of your mix. Not sure if that’s intentional or not? Almost sounds like a mistake though….

I hope that helps and keep an eye out for the next challenge!

Adam Williams
        Participant
          Paul Motion
          Participant

Hi. I made some small updates following the feedback in Feedback Friday. As always, thank you to everyone who was able to join and added comments.
            Warren is absolutely right in that the kick and bass was mixed in that way.. for the bass to be almost an extension of the kick. There's not much of a tail on the kick but I added a bit of a gate to shut it down a little earlier.
            Added automation to the snare, kick and a bit more to the vocal coming in on the last chorus. I think someone made a comment that the last chorus didn't hit as much as it should have, which I agree with.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1gss5vpwUCcI5QiHRFLftug5Gmv076sqI/view?usp=sharing

Paul Motion
            Participant

Hey Adam, thanks for the updated mix. There’s some vfx noise or something at the beginning of the track. Probably just an easy mute but something to be aware of.
              For me I think that’s an improvement. It’s exposed a few other problems that are inherent in the original production though.
              Timing is a bit of a problem between the kick and the bass. You can tell as the attack of the bass has a very hard transient which isn’t always in time with the kick, and sometimes happens when there’s no kick so it sounds like a pop or a click.
              Chris had a great suggestion which was the key a compressor on the bass from the kick. I found I had to also get in there by hand and fix things up a bit. But I’m a total pedantic when it comes to that stuff 😉
              There are also a few random clicks here and there that are in the original audio that made no sense to me so I ended up muting them.

There are a couple of other odd timing and instruments clashing issues here and there that would need a little work, (the acoustic at the end has a very odd phrase that I couldn’t make work for example).

I hope that helps….. mostly problems in the original audio but that’s what we get given sometimes! 🙂

Patrik Larsson
              Participant

Hey all!

Here is my updated version, I don't know if I manage to improve anything.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8t9fd4gzppu77rs/Steve%20Maggoria%20-%20Away%20from%20you%20-%20Mixed%20by%20Patrik%20Larsson.wav?dl=0

/Patrik

Paul Motion
                Participant

Hey Kip, good work! There’s a big click at 1.39 and then another weird one or double at about 1.48, (I think).
                  I like your idea with the glassy synth.. is that gated on the kick? The timing is a bit odd but I like where you’re going with it.

Hope that helps

Viewing 7 posts - 25 through 31 (of 31 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.