Tagged: 

• This topic has 30 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 1 year ago by Paul Motion.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    Paul Motion
    Participant

Yes it’s here! Welcome to the 1st of June and a new mix challenge.

The song - Away From You, one of the new ones from the amazing Steve Maggiora, https://academy.producelikeapro.com/away-from-you/

The challenge, only stock plugins, no multi effects units. If you have a stock multi effects plugin and you use it for reverb you can only use it for that reverb through out the mix, for example.

New song, new challenge!

Looking forward to this one… something a bit different 🙂

Chris Ibbetson
      Participant

Maybe time to put Cubase stock to the test!

Patrik Larsson
        Participant

This could be fun, I will give it A try with Logic

Kip
          Participant

thanks Paul for doing this downloading now

Kip
            Participant

https://soundcloud.com/toilettunes/away-from-you-steve-maggiora-june-mix-workshop

ok as far as cubase goes im pretty happy with what they offer except when it comes to compression with character ...now the song it  is everything i have no business touching ...that said i did try but i just dont know how to handle or treat keys  and  army of pop vocals...so please when you guys comment please keep in mind i need like a class in this kind of music ....and i mean like a 101 hold my old foggie hand explain like im a kindergartner...

no for real if there is a video on how people do this kinda  stuff i could use in terms a old rock band guy can understand, point me that way

Paul Motion
              Participant

Hey Kip, this is not bad at all. I don't really profess to be any expert in this genre of music either BUT… what I do know is what excites me or makes me feel something. So my aim with any mix is to have that moment where I get a little shiver or the hairs stand up… like when a particular guitar lick comes in and you can’t help yourself from saying “SHIT YEAH!” Out loud 😀

For me, this kind of song needs a tight but large low end, even the bass bleeding below 80Hz. A big kick is also important but I personally wouldn’t want tooo much bass down there.

The synths and other ear candy is there to help set the melody or add interest out wide. BVs I’m going to be mixing for as much of a wall of sound as possible.

My references for this are things like Kate Bush, Hounds of Love & The Sensual World albums. Goldfrapp, Tales of Us and Felt Mountain. Maybe a bit of I Know Leopard, Love is a Landmine album. Air, Moon Safari… maybe some Imogen Heap for her vocal arrangements… the list goes on, I have a very broad taste.

The easy part is that, with a lot of synth sounds, there’s not much you need to do as that’s the sound the musician wants so you can generally go with it as is. So it tends to be just about the balance rather than needing to compress to control transients etc.

I dunno… if it sounds good it is good init…

Chris Ibbetson
                Participant

My initial thoughts were get that kick and sub working together as one. I got the session up and still haven't organised everything properly yet, but had to dive straight into the kick and bass as i felt the beat had to be right to get this working the way i want. I'll post what I have in a bit. And Kip i'd be happy to show what i've done and how. This would be a good one for a breakdown video.

Here's what I have so far, no Bvs yet.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EdspNtappDjzbb6Yv9M5musVbNLShgp8/view?usp=sharing

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Chris Ibbetson. Reason: Added mix
                  Kip
                  Participant

Chris i like that pitched voice in the bridge? i cant think of anything original to do in that section except some panning fun and just copy what steve did.

i do like your bass and kick relationship,seems much cleaner/open sounding to me

yeah i would love a breakdown im sure others would like that too

Paul Motion
                    Participant

Nice one Chris! Yeah.. that bass is much better. What are you using there? Or did you go in by hand on the transients?
                      I’m looking at a treatment for the vocals at the break before the last chorus… kind of a radio voice thing.. got it working well I think. Will post where I’m at when I’m home.

Chris Ibbetson
                      Participant

With the bass i sidechained it to the kick because it did have low lows i wanted to preserve on the kick when the bass went down that low. I also limited the transients overall on bass too for when the kick doesnt play.

Oh and I did quite a bit of high cut on Bass down to 200hz ish if I remember correctly, to tame the midrange area on the click transient.

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Chris Ibbetson.
                        Paul Motion
                        Participant

Excellent! Thanks for the tips Chris 🙂

Patrik Larsson
                          Participant

Hello!

Here is what I got so far, I'm using Logic

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ut4kurtnawl87d9/Steve%20Maggoria%20-%20Away%20from%20you%20%28PRNT%20TRACK%29%2302.wav?dl=0

/Patrik

• This reply was modified 1 year ago by Patrik Larsson.
                          Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 31 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.