• This topic has 26 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by timmymac.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    Guido tum Suden
    Keymaster

@timmymac: The desk idea looks great, but I would soon be annoyed with not being able to stretch out my legs under the desk.

Rich Westphal
      Participant

Derek ... I want a like button in here just for that room shot !!!
        That looks awesome,,, and I do not recognize that Kiss picture !!!
        But I would like to know where to get it , lol,,,

Christopher Feeney
        Participant

I finally treated my home studio in 2015. After much research I went with the ECO-CORE material from Acoustimac.

You get the benefits of acoustic insulation with none of the itch and issues of insulation. The Eco-core material is recycled cellulose, paper and cotton. You could sleep on it! LOL. It has comparable sound absorption at mid to high frequencies and superior absorption at low frequencies, when compare with traditional fiberglass based cores. Tough to cut though.

I built the frames myself and Mrs. covered with jute. They look great and really tightened the room, controlled bass and made the sweet spot amazing. One issue now. My acoustic guitars sound dead when I track in there or just play for practice and fun.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Christopher Feeney.
          • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Christopher Feeney.
          Christopher Feeney
          Participant

With left over wood from the absorption panels I made a guitar rack. On one of the side reflection panels, I wrapped a black bungee cord at the top and hang my most frequently used cables from it. My mikes are out too. My goal was to cut the time from entering the room to recording, playing, practicing and composing.

Derek Whitaker
            Participant
              Steve A
              Participant

@ D Whitaker, hahah! Just the ol' PEZ, that's awesome!
                @ Fezzler: Nice work my friend, I do believe I am going to steal about 95% of your idea for myself.
                Acoustic treatment is one of the last things on my list, (should have been among the first, I know)
                So thanks in advance...

Christopher Feeney
                Participant

3rdstone: I took pictures all along the construction of the absorption panels. Let me know if you need any info or want to see some work in progress shots. PS: I built the gear racks on my desk too. The two stacked 4U boxes on the right sit on an old lazy susan so I can rotate them to get to the back if needed. I am not a DIY guy, so if I can do it anyone can.

Rich Westphal
                  Participant

Now that is funny Dereck,, I found a pic of the back, lol,,,

Back of the Pez candy box, lol,,

Good idea fezzler !!!

clancychris
                    Participant

Wow that's impressive!

I've treated my room myself by building my own broadband absorbers and mounting them in all the appropriate places. It's still not where I'm wanting it though. There's some high end flutter which doesn't get caught. Your design looks phenomenal! I'm considering starting again in a few months with what I've learned and doing it properly.

timmymac
                      Participant

@clancychris - that's why I hired an acoustician so I didn't have to guess. It's really not that complicated but really helps when you have someone who knows what they're doing. Basically for a small room you need to cover the whole room with absorption (my panels are 8" thick + waveguides in the front corners). Then you add back in some diffusion so you don't go nuts in there. I think with larger rooms you can get away with less but again ask someone who knows. Good luck!

Christopher Feeney
                        Participant

What is interesting, somewhat, is my DIY sound absorption project was successful in adding more control to my room that assisted with mixing. But my home studio is my man cave too. Now, playing my acoustic in here isn't as rewarding and the absorption soaks up once pleasing dynamics for just sitting in here and playing.

Make sense?

timmymac
                          Participant

@fezzler - that's where the wood slats in front of a lot of my panels help bring some life back to the room but still allow lower frequencies to get absorbed.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.