• This topic has 26 replies, 9 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by timmymac.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    timmymac
    Participant

Attached is a pic of my little bedroom studio. It's roughly 12'x14' and acoustically treated. I initially researched acoustics like crazy, read a few books and tons of forum posts until my head hurt. Finally after reading so much conflicting info online, I decided best to just hire someone who had the experience building studios. With the help of a professional acoustician, I got plans and instructions on what/how to build all of the panels myself. It took about 6 months to finish. I worked on and off on the weekends only without rushing it. Probably a total of 2 full weeks of full-time work if you hustle. I devised a very nice way of constructing each panel with minimal materials using plywood and pocket screws. The panels are removable, so it would have been easier and faster to build if it were a permanent installation. I have more pictures and can give more details if people are interested.
      Oh yeah, it sounds great! I can actually hear very short delays and reverb tails like never before. And the low end is much more defined. I plan to build a nice studio desk next that will have have lots of rack space. I'm interested to see and hear about what others have and their experiences.

Derek Whitaker
      Participant

Great setup! I have a pretty small space and honestly wish I had spent a little more time getting the room treated properly. To make up for it a little I use JBL 4638s and sub which do frequency compensation. But even after running the setup I find that I still need to tweak it to sound right. I have a pair of Focal headphones also which are surprisingly accurate frequency wise but it's tough to try to use them to mix in effects.

timmymac
        Participant

Hey thanks! Wow those JBLs are massive! I have the tiny Neumann kh 120's compared to those. They're really flat speakers but roll off fast after 50Hz. I'll probably be adding a sub eventually or getting some larger near fields. Yeah, I find that since adding the treatment I don't need to check my mixes on a bunch of different speakers like I used to. However, I still will check on a pair of Beyerdynamic 880 headphones, ear buds and occasionally some old junky computer speakers. Treating small rooms gets really tough with low frequencies but for this room it was doable. I'm actually surprised at how well the low frequency response flattened out. The big kitchen table desk I currently use causes some issues around 120Hz which I hope to resolve with a purpose built desk. Post some photos of your setup! Happy mixing!

auntiebeeb
          Participant

Nice, I'm actually looking to move house so I can have a dedicated space for a properly treated studio area. At the moment, I have had to put my desk in the worst place possible because I just haven't the room. To compensate, I check my mixes on a couple of different sets of headphones (ATH-50's and HD600's), my hi-fi, in the car and on a single, small powered Fostex monitor.

I have some Presonus Eris E5 monitors and used a few foam tiles and monitor isolation pads. Listening at low levels is how I'm managing my mixes at the moment.

timmymac
            Participant

Hi auntiebeeb, yeah I used to have to check mixes frequently on all those sources too. not so much now. Try replacing the foam with fiberglass insulation panels at the reflection points on side walls, back wall and ceiling. Should help and is much better than the foam. that's what I had for a while until doing the whole room. also try moving monitors and listening position around...that can make the biggest difference. Use Room EQ Wizard if you want to get all scientific but also use your ears. I still mix at low volume. ? Good luck!!

Derek Whitaker
              Participant
                timmymac
                Participant

Very nice and vibey!! And you got a live room too! Cool!

timmymac
                  Participant

Here's a desk idea that I designed in SketchUp. Might put in a midi keyboard underneath instead of the computer keyboard tray. Really just need the rack space and to have everything contained and at my finger tips.

Rich Westphal
                    Participant

Very nice Set up Derek !!!

Working on mine now,,,
                      New floor starting in a few days, Treatment coming from GIK Acoustics, and I'm building a desk lol...
                      Need room for my Presomus Spectre 8's and T10 Sub...

All the research looks like it will pay off, lol,,,
                      Doing this all myself, info from every where, lol,,,

To better translating mixes, Cheers !!!

Derek Whitaker
                      Participant

Thanks! Very Awesome! You are all smarter than me. I went for style and trust me I'm paying for it. Sometimes I still have to run out to my car to check the mix lol.

timmymac
                        Participant

Don't sweat it Derek. I'm sure you'll learn your speakers and room and you'll make it work well.

Derek Whitaker
                          Participant

Ha thanks. But at least I have the obligatory leather couch, which next to acoustic treatment I'm pretty sure is the next most important piece of studio gear 🙂

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10200973929625704&set=a.3179129092385.1073741830.1690390469&type=3&theater

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 27 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.