• This topic has 70 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Matthew Sweet.
Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Mervyn,

Thanks for taking the time to have a listen!

Tobi
      Keymaster

Hi Jan,

No worries. You'll learn crazy amounts here in the Academy. Lots going on and hopefully more of the mix challenges to come over the coming months - along with the regular multi-tracks and Feedback Friday etc etc

Tobi.

Tim Ellifritz
        Participant

Very nice to see what everyone is doing here and thanks to all for sharing and the input. I spent some time this morning revisiting and applying automation to my mix. In regards to automation I've been working from vocals, down to bass and guitars and then finally to percussion. At this point I haven't gone through and done automation on the djembe except the first measure or two. That's gonna take some time holy cow. I might have gone a little overboard with panning but hey it's all fun. If you have a comment or suggestion please let me know but don't feel obligated. Have a great day all! My mix 2 - https://drive.google.com/open?id=1nTH3tYRsO7VIEH_aJoiFsStOeNS81l6f

Tobi
          Keymaster

Hey Tim!

Listening now - like the panning at the start! Very niiiice! The panning on the 'heys' is particularly nice. I 'notice' the 'everybody knows' a little more.

Still struggling with that low mid build up with the electrics - kinda dragging the mix at the moment - but you've handled the separation well. It's not masking things too much - maybe the djembe is being squeezed a touch.

Nice additional of the acoustic at the end of the bridge.

Low of the bass is nicely in place - you've managed to give the bass quite a bit of space - which works well.

I do like the 'weight' of this mix. It's just a little jarring when the electrics first come in...

Very decent job indeed. As you say the Djembe needs some auto - it was a heck of a task. I did take a deep breath before I did that one - I think that was the toughest thing to auto because I had to go through the entire track and do it by hand. But overall very nicely done indeed. Quality stuff!

Tobi.

Mark Holden
            Participant

Hello

well the tracked played once Tim before google stopped it playing I also thought wow nice start those panned Heys worked really well.

mark

Frank Langbridge
              Participant

Is there a plan for October ? I missed the September one.

Tobi
                Keymaster

We'll keep this one running until the new Multi-track goes live. I haven't 100% decided which idea I'm going with for October - but there will be one.

Tobi.

Frank Langbridge
                  Participant

Oh Cool Ill give this one a shot then 🙂

Mark Holden
                    Participant

Hello

Once the penny dropped that using slopes for the fader de-essing is like replacing the cross-fades you would use when editing things started sounding better (hopefully).

https://soundcloud.com/mark-h-841120775/everbody-knows-v19/s-GAzhY

used Tobi's track as a reference to help keep me things in check.

Mark

Dag Ove Vareberg

Hi, thanks to Toby and all the contributions! I almost forgot to turn my own in here (finished it October 1), so I hope I'm not too late? Hard one, lots of organizing all the files, learnt a lot - limits are good! Tried to make it groove and hope it does. Enjoy: Everybody Knows (Mix by Dag Ove)

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Dag Ove Vareberg.
                        Matthew Sweet
                        Participant

Phew... I finally got at least something I feel is share worthy. This was a good challenge for me and I think there's a good bit of room to keep tweaking, but I wanted to get it posted.

Mixed in Harrison Mixbus v5 following the rules. I should note though, the HPF from Harrison has a resonant peak at the turn frequency which gives a bit of a bottom boost. 11 of the 12 buses were used including the Andrew Scheps "rear bus" technique. I used VCAs for the first time to apply some automation to the electric guitar parts which I refer to as "jangly" and "chunky". The DI and bus tracks were used, albeit blended 6-10dB down from the corresponding track. I'll be taking a bit of an ear break and then I'll come back and listen to other posts.

PLAP - Christina Holmes - Everybody Knows mixed by GMSweet

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by Matthew Sweet.
                        Viewing 11 posts - 61 through 71 (of 71 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.