• This topic has 70 replies, 16 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Matthew Sweet.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 71 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Boom! Time to bring the monthly Mix Challenge back!

The idea of the monthly mix challenge is to test our skills and force us to work differently; to encourage us to simplify our workflow, do more with less and be less reliant on the latest plugin, etc.

Let's kick things off with the 'Back to Basics' Challenge.

**RULES**

Mix Christina Holmes 'Everybody Knows' using only:

The Faders
      Panning
      Hi/low passing*
      Automation**

You must use all the tracks*! That's it.

*Hi/Low Passing using the EQ built into your DAW or BX Clean Sweep (Free from Plugin Alliance).
      **Automation means your DAW automation. NOT Waves Vocal Rider or similar.

No plugins!
      No Editing!
      No Duplicating Tracks!
      No outboard gear!
      No additional tracks!

It's the Produce Like a Pro Academy Back to Basics Mix Challenge!
      'Do you have the yarbles?'

----
      Multi-tracks: https://academy.producelikeapro.com/season-14-multitrack-sessions/
      BX Cleansweep: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/products/bx_cleansweep_v2.html
      *Beginners need not use the DIs or Bus Tracks if they do not wish to. I'd encourage the more advanced members to try to use every track to challenge themselves.
      ----
      Post your mixes below for feedback. Feel free to share questions, answers, etc.

• This topic was modified 4 years ago by Tobi.
      Paul Wickham
      Participant

Okay mate I will bite. I was thinking of doing this one anyway, so in two parts maybe, with these restrictions that should work as a great base for whatever I think of doing to it later. 🙂

Tobi
        Keymaster

Coolio.

CJ [Spectrum424]
          Participant

Cool idea!

Here's my attempt using nothing but a HP/LP filter and some panning + automation.

Great fun!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/9gznpytbb6ajlbg/PLAP_1909_ChristinaHolmes-EverybodyKnows_MixCh.mp3?dl=0

Here's an updated version with a little more effort in cleaning up the mud in gtrs. Hopefully without making them too thin

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/91coi8kkh3jhg5q/PLAP_1909_ChristinaHolmes-EverybodyKnows_MixCh_II.mp3?dl=0

• This reply was modified 4 years ago by CJ [Spectrum424].
            • This reply was modified 4 years ago by CJ [Spectrum424]. Reason: Typo
            • This reply was modified 4 years ago by CJ [Spectrum424]. Reason: New version added
            Tobi
            Keymaster

Hey CJ,

That was quick! The mix starts pretty well. Where you're struggling is where I have found myself struggling too - once it gets busy, trying to keep the detail on the percussion and acoustic gets tricky. Could probably do with some more high frequencies in there. And the low mids are getting a little heavy. Cool mix - and first one out of the box - king of the hill! Nicely done!

Tobi.

CJ [Spectrum424]
              Participant

Hey Tobi and thanks for listening!

Yes, i wanted to go with more of a gut feeling approach as an exercise for myself.
                I might have another go at it before i mix it properly.
                There's deffo more work to be done in the electric gtrs imho.

Cheers!

/CJ

Mark Beeson
                Participant

Man I hope my CPU can handle the track count. Game on.

Tobi
                  Keymaster

Mark, CPU should be fine. You won't be using any plugins. My CPU meter has barely moved.

Tobi.

Tobi
                    Keymaster

CJ,

Yep, the electric guitars I haven't really got to yet. Started with Bass, percussion, vocals + backing vocals. They feel like they're going to be tricky.

Tobi.

CJ [Spectrum424]
                      Participant

Yes Mark. CPU Should be fine and if not, there are some short cuts you can take with the already mixed down tracks of BGV;s

It's a narrow line with the electrics where they might sound too thin if HP a bit much. Tough choice there.

Can't wait to hear what y'all come up with 🙂

/CJ

Kip
                        Participant

thank god i miss these so much
                          thank you tobi

Mark Holden
                          Participant

Hello

Nice CJ a bar has been set. I gone with the, must use all the tracks statement so left out any bussed/stereo tracks (after watching the mix breakdown video these were put in as an optional extra for us)

One thing I have left out are the Di gtr tracks I was assuming these were provided for re-amping or amp sim plugins.

Well My session is set and group ready to go so best get over to it and not neglect this weeks Jam Track as well 🙂

Mark

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 71 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.