• This topic has 40 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Marcus Mittil.
Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Anders Isberg
    Participant

Awesome, yet very different mixes Andrew and Toby!

We've got some really great mixes from PLAPA members entering this contest. It'll be interesting to see how many of us, if any, will get among the 15 that gets feedback. I'll definitely share the feedback with you guys if I'm one of the winners. Good luck everyone!

Marcus Mittil
      Participant

I'm finally done with my revision of the mix (I think).
        - cut some 4 kHz on the 2bus
        - tried to get more definition on the bass
        - some extra de-essing (there's a LOT of that right now...)
        - eq:ed and adjusted the ambient kick
        - extra delay throws for the chorus part on lead vocals
        - brought up the snare and some additional automation throughout

Hope this was an improvement now. Big thanks for your feedback on my first version guys!

https://dl.dropbox.com/s/35y2y2vf0k2z7pn/Marcus%20Mittil%C3%A4%20-%20Don%27t%20Believe%20In%20Ghosts%20-%20mix03.mp3?dl=0

(Had a plugin start messing with me, so had to replace it. Stillwell's Event Horizon, wasn't reporting latency correctly, so switched it out for Fabfilter's Pro-L for now. If anyone's using any other clipper plugin that's good I'm all ears!)

I agree with Anders, there's good stuff from PLAPA members here! I'll happily share any feedback if I win anything as well. Good luck people!

Anders Isberg
        Participant

Great interpretation Marcus! As usual it's very interesting how we all take the same basic material in very different directions. Good job!

Marcus Mittil
          Participant

Tack Anders!

Just submitted the mix, think it's as good as it gets before tomorrow (and it's usually so busy with the kids in the weekends anyway so will probably not have more time for mixing now).

And I agree, it's fascinating how many different versions you can get from the same source material. Every month on here I'm surprised and impressed by what people do with the monthly songs.

Magnus Johansson
            Participant

So close finishing and so little time. Have searched their site on an exact hour deadline but can't find any info. Brought a rough mix to work, will give it a couple of spins with pen and paper and take notes to use tomorrow.

What was your biggest issues with these rawfiles?

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Magnus Johansson.
              Marcus Mittil
              Participant

Hope you'll have time to complete it! I have no idea about the exact hour, but maybe you can assume it's until midnight on the 5th (local time for wherever ASO is based)?

My biggest issue with the raw files was the hideous processing on all vocal tracks. Needed so much de-essing and tweaking and I'm still not all too happy with the end result I got.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Marcus Mittil.
                Magnus Johansson
                Participant

Agree on the vocals. Deessing frenzy for sure.

Magnus Johansson
                  Participant

Defeated. That´s the feeling uploading my mix. NOT happy about it. I usually laugh at people saying garbage in, garbage out. But really.... this time I really couldn´t get the glitter to stick to this turd.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5gku2wudy4wha6m/Nothing%20I%20could%20do.mp3?dl=0

Marcus Mittil
                    Participant

Yeah, I feel you. I didn't like these tracks much either. More enjoyable to mix when it's good stuff you're handling. Is it always like this with competition stuff (maybe they wanna see how much you can save despite bad source material)?

I like your guitars a lot, those distorted ones sound killer. Cool idea with bringing in different layers of singing for second half of the song! I'm usually not so much for fade outs, but it worked very nice in your version. Nice work!

Tobi
                      Keymaster

Agreed, those guitars are nice and crunchy! Like the placement of all synth and fx bits.

Vocal work is really nice. Fade out is cool. Lots of quality to be found in the mix.

Always gonna be a different mix , when you don't like the song .

Magnus Johansson
                        Participant

Thank you guys. An hour or two after posting, back at work (nightshift) my heartrate is back to normal.

The fade, wanted to replace the otherwise soloed vocal ending. The chopping was something I came up with fiddling with the middlepart.

The middlepart, just one verse! Too strange arrangement for me but as we only had lyrics for one I tried this vocal layering. Worked out ok, not perfect. I have a faint memory that I changed the pitch of one note in the "verse" part to get rid of a rub. At second thought that might have been in an earlier stage when I had the bass muted during the section.

Edit, re-amped guitars are Ampire. Stock amp-plugin in Studio One.

Anders Isberg
                          Participant

The list of winners:

http://www.asomixingcontest.com/

Viewing 12 posts - 25 through 36 (of 41 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.