• This topic has 40 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Marcus Mittil.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Ooops! Deleted the file.... here's the latest version :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/6raqy59wusmmdfp/Ghost%20003_mp3_320kbps_Q5.mp3?dl=0

Varied the snare sound a bit.... cut out the organ and one guitar bit. Other stuff that I can't remember;-)

Still needs work on levels, more automation etc...

Tobi
      Keymaster

Anders,

Like the guitar tones... lot's of lovely delays.

Nice panning bits... Like the selection of vocal parts too - makes for interesting listening.

The build after the break is really well done, works very well. Like all the placement in the stereo - lots for the ear to pick out.

Ending is cool with the quick pan at the very end - very cool!

Great stuff! Little things... kick maybe a bit 'dead', steam sound effects a little 'hot' ;-). ...dynamics a touch uneven in places... buuut nothing to serious for any mix, let alone a rough mix - really very well done and very far along for a first pass. Crackling good mix!

Anders Isberg
        Participant

That's a cool take Toby. I like the vocal effects and the drums sound really good. Great choices about what to keep and what to cut. Very creative! The vocal gets a bit lost at the end, the "Nothing I Can Do" line. Really enjoyed it!

Tobi
          Keymaster

Thanks Anders !

Latest version :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rpazwp6i3tx5z32/Ghost%20004_mp3_320kbps_Q5.mp3?dl=0

Stripped it right back to just guitars. Cut the middle stop down. Added parallel comp and saturation where necessary.

Uped the vocal at the end, as you said , it was getting lost. And gave the lead vocals more weight in the final chorus.

Rebalanced the vocals and guitar in regard to panning.

Added volume automation to the stereo bus.

...need to do some volume automation on individual tracks. Maybe a bit of demudding in the EQ. ...but I think it's pretty much there.

Tobi
            Keymaster

So... here it is, the submitted version :

https://www.dropbox.com/s/956lt6c1grb1mrh/Nothing%20I%20Could%20Do%20%28Toby%20Davis%20Mix%29_mp3_320kbps_Q5.mp3?dl=0

Did a little volume automation this morning. Thought I'd better stop, before I start to screw it up 😉

Marcus Mittil
              Participant

Anders, thank you very much for listening and giving some feedback! I agree the track turned out a bit too bright, will hopefully get to some fixing this evening or tomorrow. I'll look into some more de-essing, have quite a few instances of Fabfilters Pro-DS on it already but felt like no matter how much I tried I couldn't reduce it enough :/

Listened to your mix, I really like it. You've got a real knack for mixing/remixing stuff. I like how you changed things up. Very good balance already, will be cool to hear it when you feel it's done. Sounds very clean already!

Marcus Mittil
                Participant

Toby, liking your version of the song, as expected. It's still a bit too much on the wet side for me, but as I said this is more a preference thing. I would still have liked the vocals more upfront, but I have friends saying I mix the vocals too up front so I guess it will depend on who you ask 🙂

You added some cool extra stuff on the vocals, cool! Liking your snare a lot, and guitars sounds great. Nice work!

Tobi
                  Keymaster

Thanks Marcus!

It is really wet! ...everything is set back in the reverb, waaaay more than I would usually ...but, I like. I think it softens the guitars and stops them overpowering the track.

Andrew Mckenzie
                    Participant

Better late than never I suppose 🙂 I tried to go for a tighter mix than the original.
                      https://soundcloud.com/amacca-938159740/dont-believe-in-ghosts-nothing-i-could-do-amacca-mix

Tobi
                      Keymaster

Nice blend of lead vocals and backing.

Mix feels really sharp from the get go.

Vocals in second verse are a touch boomy at the beginning.

Blend and placement of the instruments works really well.

The final chorus is a touch flat. Could do with a little build on the second half.

Buuuut.... very tight mix. Very well put together.

Andrew Mckenzie
                        Participant

Thanks Toby, it's hard to know how much to build up Indie tracks I reckon, can't wait to hear the winning mix. 🙂

Cheers...Andrew

Marcus Mittil
                          Participant

Andrew, very nice! I like the clean feel you have. Maybe the steam and riser things are on the loud side for me, at least the first time they come in (I'm not too much for things like that otherwise though, so maybe that's why).

Very nice balance otherwise. I like that you've kept the vocals more on the dry/natural side.

Great job!

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 41 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.