Academy Dashboard Forum Production Production Techniques Where do you find online session musicians?

• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Robert McClellan.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    tblizz
    Participant

My go-to site is AirGigs and I’ve recently discovered Fiverr for a song that needed some female backing vocals.

On Gearslutz there’s a thread containing 10 years of online drummers and you can find even more using Google.

Who do you use for your projects?

Cris Sabater Sabater
      Participant

Hi tblizz, I use a site called Kompoz. I actually met my bandmates there and I produce, mix and master all our songs. There are some good musicians there and some who are starting out and is a neat way of meeting other musicians online. I have not even met my fellow bandmates as I live in Surrey, England and another lives elsewhere in England and the other two live in Germany. The modern world eh!

Cheers mate,

Cris

tblizz
        Participant

Hi Cris,

I’ve heard of Kompoz, but I didn’t know you could have a ‘Modern World Band’ on there as well. Sounds really cool!

Thanks,

Martijn.

Cris Sabater Sabater
          Participant

Hi Martijn, yes it is a cool site. You have to be on there for a while a do the rounds as it were so people know what you are capable of but once you get a name on there as I have for Production, Mixing and Mastering then you get asked to work with people. I met my bandmates through the German guys asking me to Master a song for them. They were so impressed at the speed I worked at and the quality too that they then asked me to Mix a song for them and Master it and once we got a relationship going we formed our band! You can a have a free membership but I would recommend a paid one as I do and it is good value for money.

By the way this is a link to our Soundcloud site https://soundcloud.com/fightingthismonster

Cheers mate,

Cris

Anders Isberg
            Participant

I usually play everything myself. If there's anything really specific I want, I might get someone local to play. That being said, I've done a lot of collaborations on Soundcloud over the years. Lots of nice talented people there that would probably do session work for you.

tblizz
              Participant

@Cris Sabater: That’s a great story of finding bandmates in the new millennium. I just clicked your SoundCloud link: sounds good listening on headphones!

@Anders Isberg: Playing everything yourself is impressive! As a keyboard player I have many sample libraries at my disposal, but I love the sound of real talented musicians playing.
                I never thought of using SoundCloud for finding (session) musicians. I will try it one day. Thanks!

JD

Hi guys, just read this post, you could also try the website http://vocalizr.com/. This is a new thing that I found out about that allows producers to put up tracks and get vocalists to work with them.

Cheers,

JD

tblizz
                  Participant

Thank you for that tip, John! That site looks very promising. In another post somebody mentioned SoundBetter. Also a great place for browsing!

Jim Gahagan
                    Participant
                      iamuproductions

Hi Styxer,

tough question. Never had the chance to investigate the web further about it but I think I should as sometimes Clients ask for a specific instrument which I can't personally play or I don't feel like sequencing in midi (see banjos, mandolin, harp ect..). Here at our "lab" we usually do serve online clients providing both acoustic and electric guitars, bass guitars and vocals as we have resident players available but we haven't thought about promoting it. It just happens thanks to the word-to-mouth thing.

I guess your question calls for a side-thread regarding "How to satisfy Client's demand for online session's player".

I gotta say Pro Tools 12.5 made things a lot easier collaboration-wise but once you get there it's hard to find or sort players by instrument they play" ... yet...

Have a great day. 😉

Alex & Robert

Christopher Feeney
                        Participant

So on SoundCloud, do you ask people you follow? People following you? How do you find folks willing to do so?

We are talking free, correct? (I'm just a hobbyist trying to take covers and originals to the next level.)

http://www.soundcloud.com/fezzler61

Kevin Williams
                          Participant

Wow! Thanks for the URLs. Didn't consider looking before as I do everything myself but sometimee could do with a hand!

Cheers! ♫♪♫

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.