Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Vocal Mics

• This topic has 29 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by timmymac.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    timmymac
    Participant

Which vocal mics should I have on hand to cover most singers? I'm thinking a U47 style tube mic (like telefunken AK-47, Pearlman or Flea). Then also a fet like an AKG 414. Finally a Shure SM7 dynamic. Would those three pretty much cover 90-95% of singers? Then down the road add a 251 style and a C12 style.

Steve A
      Participant

I would pick the Pearlmans over the other variants, unless Flea still offers diy kits, and not sure they do?
        Or you may hear enough comparisons, and see enough savings to get by with an offering from a different brand.
        The 414, SM7? No brainers IMO.. yes. Especially if you can find the 414 pre-owned.
        Ever seen or heard Zenpro Audio's Clip-O-Lator? It's you friend...
        *edit* It may not tell you exactly what's best for you, but it can definitely tell you the 'difference between' ...
        These are all just my opinions of course, vocal mics can be a tricky thing to advise someone on...

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Steve A.
        timmymac
        Participant

@3rdstone - thanks for the advice and Zenpro link. I'll check it out!
          So would you say a U47 style, a good fet and a good dynamic will cover most singers/situations? I'm more after which style of mic rather than brand.

Steve A
          Participant

In general yes, but finding a U47 style mic has had me searching for over 6 months, this is not (at least for me) an easy thing to accomplish, there is a reason a vintage original goes for 15k ...15k? ..lolz..
            And I've picked one out of many, many blind tests, every time! I don't think anyone has, or ever will build one that sounds as distinctive as the original.
            However, I do think people have produced fantastic mics that are distinctive on their own.
            The Pearlman TM1 being one of them to my ears, out of a lot of mics in that price range, I think it gets that whole 'lively' and '3D' thing right.
            Again, my opinion, some people think it sounds like crap, I don't happen to be one of them.
            I just haven't built up enough gumption (or cash) to pull the trigger on one.
            (gotta remember, that's a cardiod (and omni?) only)
            Hope that helps? ..lolz..

timmymac
            Participant

@3rdstone - thanks for the details! Yeah I'm in no position to be dropping crazy coin on a vintage mic like that. I've heard great things about Pearlman mics as well as Flea from people who own them. I've also read how vintage mics are all over the place in terms of sound. I'll probably rent a few of those big dog mics when I'm working on a project that can swing it for rental, but for now the "cheaper" mics are what I'm considering. Have you looked at or tried out any 251 variants like the Pearlman or Lawson? Why do you want a U47 style mic? What do you like about it?

Mdjagg

I've got a Manley Reference Cardioid and so far have used it on 2 very different female singers, 1 rapper- straight hip hop with no "drakeisms", and a few male singers. All, yes every, one of these different people have sounded really great, they've all been happy with the results. I'd have to say if you have the money, go for that. I would say though, I didn't have a bunch of mics side by side to compare. Definitely worth investigating, beautiful clean- "in your face" sound. I also have been using this as my mono overhead for drums, it sounds like you're in the room, amazing.

timmymac
                Participant

@Mdjagg - thanks for your input! Yes I've heard great things about the Manley especially as an "affordable" alternative to a Sony C800. Good tip using it for overhead! I'll have to try that. What were you using before you had the Manley?

Steve A
                  Participant

I've looked at, but not heard in person (only clips) 251 variants, neither one from Pearlman or Lawson.
                    The two companies I have been looking at are Advanced Audio, and a brand new company named 3U Audio.
                    Jack Douglas claims the AA 251 nails the sound, and I have heard clips of the 3U 251 variants, and was very impressed, even though they are not tube. I think you are going to hear a lot more of 3U in the industry fairly soon. They make 3 different 251 variants.
                    What do I like about the sound of the U47? ..everything, depth and dimension for one, and on the FR, the mid-range.
                    A lot of 'clones' seem to have accentuated lows and/or highs, which kind of drown out the mids, where the most critical human hearing is.
                    Again, my opinions only..
                    *edit* I just listened to the Pearlman 250, great sounding to my ears, has more heft than the tm1. Not necessarily my thing...
                    *edit two* Yes, that Manley Reference is an awesome mic too, here's a comparison of it, a 47, and some others:
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39BmbnpEef0

timmymac
                    Participant

Thanks for posting the video comparison! Ha! the MXL isn't half bad in this shootout. ? Yeah I like the Manley reference. The Bock didn't handle this guys sibilance well. What I get out of all of this is to just try these out in person and over time I'll figure out what I like best. Thanks for all the info!

Lee Hawkins
                      Participant

I was at a studio recently and used the new Senheisser MK8. I was very impressed. I believe the condensor capsules are made in the same lab as the Neumann's. I'm considering getting one as it sounded good with piano too..

Mdjagg

@Timmymac Before the Manley, well, let's just say this is my first big boy mic. I got decent results though with what I was using before, but nothing close to the Manley. For vocals I used the Blue Baby Bottle, Rode NT2A, and the lovely EV RE20. All great mics, but the BB was a little thin, NT2A a little dark, and the RE just unique. All cool, and I use them all for intruments still. A guy a sweetwater claims that the RE20 with a cloud lifter "sounds just like a U87". I'm temped to get one to try it. Would be a super cheap route to a U87 sound.

As far as overheads, I would use two Baby Bottles, which I still like. I read a few people insisting on trying a mono overhead and I'd have to say, for my style at least, I like it. I'm not a big rock drummer, so I don't need a huge wide spread. I'd rather be tight and down the middle. I would like to try a M/S drum recording with the NT2A as the figure 8, and the Manley as the mono.

Mdjagg

@3rdStone & Timmymac That's the same video that I watched, that along with advice from my sweetwater rep. I decided on the Manley. Glad I did

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 30 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.