Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) UNPLUGGED "End of the World" March 2019 Mixing Challenge

• This topic has 50 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 51 total)
  • Author
    Mark Holden
    Participant

Hello

Lisa I was just looking at your screen shot and was thinking if you don't send the OH's to the drum bus you could probably reduce the amount of reverb they are getting which may help with the sound of the cymbals. You could always copy the same reverb onto the OH's but reduce the mix knob. Its just a thought that popped into my head it may work it may not 🙂

Mark

Mark Holden
      Participant

hey how's people getting on?

Been a lot of learning here with different parts of Studio one. Although I've got the different parts working (Impact XT, groove tool, drum editor etc) the end product is far from presentable so for now I've opted for chopping up some drum loops adding some automation for pan and vol with a bit of EQ, reverb and parallel compression.

The plan is to extract the groove from these loops and re create a Drum pattern I can separate out into Kick, Snare etc for better control and reduce those cymbals.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-h-841120775/end-of-the-world-acoustic/s-ddp6x (removed latest draft in most recent post)

Mark

Kip
        Participant

ok mark i think i fallow ...im not sure about those kontak ect stuff but yeah i could see you building a drum track out of those ...i think it will work nicely

Mark Holden
          Participant

Yeah Kip those are instruments/plugins in Studio one and some of the editing tools I'm getting to grips with.

Just got to make it happen now and by the 18th 🙂

Mark

Just Lisa
            Participant

https://soundcloud.com/just-lisa-3/end-of-the-world-just-lisa-unplugged-challenge-mix/s-gN0eR

I think this is basically finished. Could use some feedback about levels. The cymbals in the last two choruses -- too out of control or okay?
              Kept it as natural as possible, no more plug ins than I needed until a few as I was automating volume and some other details.
              Going for a casual pop, mixed it from tape, kind of vibe. Does it work?
              : )

Mark Holden
              Participant

Hello Lisa

Like what you've done with the Vocals great spacing/separation between the harmony parts and main vocal, works well. The Staccato Guitar part for my taste needs a little something adding to give it a bit of a lift, but that is personal taste. The Delay at the end, for me stops too abruptly more of a gradual fade out would smooth things out or start the fade earlier in the track.

The levels all seem fine to me (I'm on headphones). The cymbals I found once we stripped the song back are not needed as intensely in this more relaxed version of the song. This is what I'm working on myself, definitely want some gentle cymbals maybe ride with a few gentle crashes as the song builds just with not as many hits.

Had your song on repeat while typing and really liking it.

Mark

Sergio Maggi
                Participant

hey Lisa!
                  I like the mix, especially - as mark wrote - the vocals and the separation with the harmonies. For my taste: I'd lower a little the volume of the backing vocals. And also for me, try give a more gradual end to the last delay.
                  I love the guitars sound, but the "solo" is a little thin, without any "crunch", at least for me.
                  You asked for the ride cymbal on the final choruses: as a drummer, I'd go for a more clean ride bell sound, instead of the "wash" of a crash played this way, just for the nature of the mix. But this is really a "view" from a drummer perspective (and my personal one, of course).
                  Overall, I really like the drums sound!
                  Sergio

Kip
                  Participant

lisa i like it loving the feel of drums and bass
                    im not a drummer so i tend to love that cymbal wash....one of my favorite bands is HUM
                    i think there is some fine work here

Mark Holden
                    Participant

Hello all

The reading and playing around has finally let me program a drum track, used Some of Warren's samples for kick and snare the rest are samples out of the Studio one library. The feel is not too bad but still needs work in place to help remove that mechanical sense you get. I think its working if you can let me know if anything stands out mainly with the rhythm and feel.

https://soundcloud.com/mark-h-841120775/acoustic-stripdown-d6-end-of-the-world-alexx-calise/s-2Cceo (removed latest post has current version)

Mark

Mark Holden
                      Participant

Hello

I think Kip is the one who managed to capture the unplugged theme the best.

Here's my (I think final) version with hopefully an improvement on my Programmed Drums. Warren's samples I used were I wanna Kick and the D28 Snare with a little of his wood snare mixed in.
                        https://soundcloud.com/mark-h-841120775/alexx-carlise_end-of-the

Mark

Kip
                        Participant

mark got a great pic of her on soundcloud
                          that d28 is my favorite snare sample
                          i do like it but has a almost electronic feel to its DNA( i think stretching your creativity is the most important now that i think about this)...i was thinking this really has not been a mix challenge this is a production thing....so im not sure the the take away was for me on this one...that said it was fun to get my acoustic out
                          usally at the end we will talk about the take away

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Kip. Reason: clarify marks feedback
                          Mark Holden
                          Participant

Kip I think your right about the D28 couldn't put me finger on it as I knew it had the sound I wanted but needed a little bit of something hence the woodsnare blend 🙂

Really got a lot out of this already 🙂

Mark

Viewing 12 posts - 37 through 48 (of 51 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.