Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Slate Digital VMS Virtual Microphone System

• This topic has 21 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Johnny Sommerer.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Andrew Mckenzie
    Participant

Hi All, just wondering if anyone has had the opportunity to try out the Slate Digital VMS which looks like a really interesting product and might just limit the amount of real mics required to cover a range of recording scenarios (assuming it works as well as suggested :-))

Cheers...Andrew

Steve A
      Participant

Hi Andrew, As a true believer and owner of many Slate plugins, and one who uses them all the time, I am not a fan of this particular product.
        Do I think Steve put a lot of energy into the VMS? Absolutely! But critical listening to the clips that I have heard, and knowing what the classic mics sound like from numerous recordings .. I think it's 'flat' or 'digital' sounding, compared to the real thing. Sort of like the early guitar amp sims were.. Given time, it might improve...IDK.?
        Just my opinion of course...
        *edit* The plugins themselves are not quite as good as their hardware 'equivalents' ...Even more so with mics, as they are the gateway to what's going to happen in the recording, so to me that effect will be amplified..

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Steve A.
        Andrew Mckenzie
        Participant

Thanks mate, it's nice to hear it from someone who is familiar with the real mic sounds. Maybe Warren can coax a test unit out of Steve for review purposes ๐Ÿ™‚ Given how far modelling has come in terms of plugins....I'm sure this kind of thing will improve over time as well.

Cheers...Andrew

Steve A
          Participant

Yes! I'd love for Warren to do a test like you propose! I think that'd be great!
            Cheers as well, Andrew
            -Steve

Andrew Mckenzie
            Participant

Oh LOLZ..... Ask and ye shall receive ๐Ÿ™‚
              https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdLGRlqiW60

Thanks Warren

Steve A
              Participant

I've been set up!(kidding) Been set up so many times I should have a Brunswick endorsement..haha
                null
                I still stand by my opinion, however..
                On the other hand, there's no doubt that people will make records with this gear, that's fantastic!
                It's just not for me in it's present form. Different strokes and all that...

Mike Krowiak
                Participant

They may not sound exactly the same (although they sounded pretty close to me), but "pretty close" is not bad for about 2% of the cost of the hardware. Just sayin' ๐Ÿ™‚

-Mike.

Steve A
                  Participant

Hi Mike, now I'm genuinely curious! I've heard your work both here, and on your site, and let's just say it's a good thing you're in audio, because you definitely belong, all of it is top-notch, great stuff!

Besides here on this video, and the original promo that Mr Slate did, I have not heard any other clips of this system ...these were the only two I used to form my opinion.
                    Was there another place where you were able to listen? If so, I'd really like to hear other examples, because as you have stated the amount of money one could save here is substantial.
                    Thanks
                    -Steve

Mike Krowiak
                    Participant

Steve: Thanks for the kind words. The promo and Warren's interview are all I've heard. But I think if you have to squint and concentrate with every fiber of your being to hear a difference, then it's close enough. (Maybe I'd be more critical if I were actually considering buying the thing...) I just think it's important to stay focused on the music and not the tech. If there's some subtle difference that the average listener will never hear, then who cares? It's like 320 MP3s vs WAVs or JPGs vs film. If I have get out my electron microscope to see/hear the difference, then who cares?

Why do I feel as though I've just fired the opening shot in a war? ๐Ÿ™‚

-mk.

Steve A
                      Participant

Haha ...no war here, at least not from me.
                        I just thought you'd maybe heard other examples.
                        I suppose I should hear more demos as they become available.
                        Cheers

Warren Huart
                        Keymaster

Hi Mike and 3rdstone, I only heard a small sample, but honestly the 251 was really good. Now I've grown up on U47's, I own one and I also own a U48, the situation was 'really close' but not exact, the 251 however was insanely good. I frankly am going to get one of these just for the 251 alone! For me this is the future. Just an FYI for those of us in these walls, I met with a team at NAMM who have another Mic and simulator which is going to help take this to the next level! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren๏ปฟ

Andrew Mckenzie
                          Participant

The thing I find most appealing about using this kind of system is the potential improvement over time without the need to upgrade the hardware. If the modelling gets better then in theory we should be able to update the software/plugin and receive the benefits. Sadly though.....no love for Reason...at least not yet.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 22 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.