Academy Dashboard Forum Production Mixing Slate Audiolegends

• This topic has 14 replies, 10 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by iamuproductions.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Johnny Sommerer
    Participant

Hi guys,

in case you haven't checked it out yet, i can really recommend the first audiolegends course with cla by slate digital. of course you don't learn as much as in plap, but it's really interesting and useful! what do you think about it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fITppH6lTbY

cheers,
      johnny

Lee Hawkins
      Participant

I have to say. Its pretty bad. Extremely poor value for money. CLA sit there and turns on plugins. He doesn't actually explain anything in depth. Missed opportunity.

Joe G.
        Participant

Lee - thanks for the input on this. I was considering it but I think I'll pass. CLA doesn't mix in the box or use only Slate's plugins, so it can't really be a true representation of how he mixes.

Cris Sabater Sabater
          Participant

I can back up what Lee say's. I have not seen it all but it is basically Slate trying to sell via a top name who does not even work in the box! A pity but not suprising in today's market.

Cheers,

Cris

Johnny Sommerer
            Participant

hi guys!

really? i find it actually pretty useful, because it shows at the end of the day that one can achieve a really good mix (in my opinion) with any gear at hand. how cla uses automation is crucial. but i'm not trying to sell anything here, just my two cents.

cheers,

johnny

Dan42uk
              Participant

Hi,

I watched the video from this where CLA is eq'ing and compressing a snare drum.
                I was amazed at how much eq Boost he uses, two different eq modules pretty much maxed out and then smashed with compression - I guess this is what Warren was explaining in his eq into compression lesson.
                I guess it gives an insight into CLA's workflow and he's definitely got a'sound'

I do think for a similar price, we get a year on here plus the feedback - so will end up learning more.

Dan

Cris Sabater Sabater
                Participant

Hi guys,
                  one thing this does show for anyone who is interested in post production is that there is no one way of doing anything! Everyone has their own style and method and it works for them and so is correct for them! What I don't think is a good idea is someone trying to copy a famous engineer like for like as they will end up very frustrated because it will never happen. I learned a long time ago to 'steal and incorporate', take certain things you like from others and then blend them into your own way of working. A lot of Production and Mixing is about personality and this comes through in your work. CLA is a larger than life personality and so his Mixes follow suit. I do think johnny has a point though, automation is what makes a mix breath and come to life.

Cheers guys,

Cris

TGMIX
                  Participant

I haven't seen the whole series, but I did enjoy his snare video on Youtube. The takeaway for me was don't be afraid to turn knobs to get the sound that you want. I had been afraid of doing to much of this or too much of that because everyone says that's how you're supposed to do it. Watching that video gave me the confidence to try new things and not be afraid of ruining anything. That's the nice thing about DAW's right?! I know he's an expert and that allows him to jump right to the moves he knows will work, but trying things outside of the box (pun intended) could potentially lead to some new discoveries in finding your own sound! Maybe I will pickup the course if I start to hear more favorable reviews. In the meantime, I am VERY happy I spent the money to join this site.

Steve Dandrea
                    Participant

I bought the series. I personally wasn't disappointed at all. Is it a smart marketing move on Slate's part? Of course, but so what? I disagree with the notion that the series doesn't go in-depth enough. The thing about CLA is he comes from a time in mixing when there wasn't forums, and youtube, and social media where you can learn a million "tricks" when it comes to mixing. The guy really just uses his ears, that much is evident when you look at his EQ settings.

It doesn't matter to me that he's an OTB mixer doing an ITB tutorial - in fact to me it's inspiring because when you open up the included session in your DAW , it sounds like a CLA mix. If I knew nothing about the background of the mixing tutorial and I heard the song, I would say "that sounds like a CLA mix". For better or for worse, it's identifiable. And what makes that inspiring to me is that he was able to get "his sound" but mixing completely in the box. Yes, the tracks were recorded with good gear by engineers who know what they are doing, but it is still completely mixed in the box. The only thing stopping me from getting good mixes ITB is my own skill set. One of the reasons I am here. 🙂

Jared Sherman
                      Participant

The most valuable thing about this is having a session that was done by CLA and having all the plugins that were used available to you so you can really dissect the mix in its entirety (whereas the multitracks that we get here just have whatever various plugins that Warren uses and there is a pretty good chance you aren't going to have them all).

Noobish
                        Participant

After hearing his answer to the second question of this Q&A I decided not to learn from him anymore.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-J6v1jkLvA

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Noobish.
                          • This reply was modified 8 years ago by Noobish.
                          Jared Sherman
                          Participant

So you didn't like his shameless plug? Haha. Yeah that was not technically an answer to the guy's question, but to play devil's advocate, it may be that CLA thought the question was actually (or the guy was primarily wanting to know) how can I achieve the same vocal sound that you get - and that is the question he answered. Anyways, that is actually a pretty interesting Q&A. Thanks for the link.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 15 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.