Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Pro Tools Pro Tools Padawan

• This topic has 12 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just begun learning the Pro Tools system, although I have had a bunch of experience with Cubase. I was wondering if you more experienced PT users could point me to a beginners level tuition. Learning huge amounts from Warren and various other web resources but I'm missing the simple stuff.

PT 12.4 and loving it.

Steve A
      Participant

I may be able to help with that..
        This is a series that was done a few years ago, and it may not be as professionally produced as Lynda and Groove3, but god-bless this guy, going through all of this trouble to create these.
        I was in the same boat as you recently, coming from Mixcraft.
        I think the guy has moved on to other topics, but the whole PT series is still up and running..
        Link to his channel were you will find them:
        https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6k8yTWnuS5a-HxApgbpT0Q

Anonymous

Thank you

I hadn't seen that one, and its absolutely what I am looking for. Its really the simple things that I am used to like setting locators etc, just the things that you take for granted then miss when you are starting afresh.

Thanks very much

Lee Hawkins
          Participant

Groove 3 have some really great content on ProTools, but you could also try MacPro Video.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Lee Hawkins.
            Anonymous

Thanks Lee, I'll check them out. Much appreciated.

Kaleb Treacy
              Participant

Don't know how simple you want to start with but there's a 2 part tutorial with a guy named Tim. It's like a final piece to graduate audio school for him so it's super in depth of the basic things, shortcuts, what the functions are etc. There's parts where he goes a bit further in depth but I highly recommend it to people new to Pro Tools.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o1E8K5WwWg
                https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gPkwR6PoVEM

Victor Ciampini
                Participant

I learned a lot by watching a Groove 3 tutorial by Kenny Gioia (may have misspelled his name) about his mixing process. It was not pt tutorial per se but he works on pt in the vid and in guiding you thru his mix flow he uses pretty much everything pt has to offer, editing, elastic audio, markers, keyboard shortcuts, grouping, etc etc.

Cheers
                  Vic

Anonymous

Thanks Kaleb, I seen this video lesson before, Loved the keyboard at the start.. Its exactly what I was looking for.

A

Anonymous

Thanks Vic

The keyboard shortcuts are proving to be my Achilles heel, I'm a windows user (Win10) so they don't all tie up. But I love me a challenge!

Steve A
                      Participant

I'm on windows as well, I found this site pretty useful:
                        http://www.shortcutworld.com/en/win/Pro-Tools.html
                        You can PDF it, print it, whatever.

But after going through, and wearing out my third set of shortcut stickers (they don't last) I finally just broke down and ordered this:
                        http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PTKeyWin?adpos=1o2&creative=55226069761&device=c&matchtype=&network=g&gclid=Cj0KEQiA89u1BRDz8enExq7rvN0BEiQAaFCHmzaV7yzotZeWKh7erGjVr9KkhlyyIBYfHcOfLx9Sx2AaAnRg8P8HAQ
                        Yea I know it's pricey, but it's very well made, (metal etc.)

Anonymous

Cheers Mate,
                          I had one of those keyboards for Cubase, it was very handy.. I forgot all about them. I was just about to buy a new keyboard too.

Perfect link.. thank you so very much. I also discovered the Keyboard short cut docs on the pro tool site. so lots of memorising to be done.

Thanks everyone your help has been very welcome and greatly appreciated.

Anonymous

Archie,

Can I ask you just out of curiosity, what made you jump from Cubase to Pro Tools? I'm trying to do the opposite now and just wondering what attracted you to PT.

-Rosti

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 13 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.