Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Pensado's Place mixing competition - Nov 2016

• This topic has 45 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Ilan Benitah.
Viewing 10 posts - 37 through 46 (of 46 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

Yep... Soundcloud crushed my mix.... just listened to the Wav file on my system and it's much more open... gonna go back and upload a couple of versions at different levels... see what soundcloud makes of it.

Chris Sweet
      Participant

It sounds like it's in mono too. Was that intentional?

Tobi
        Keymaster

There isn't a lot of stereo placement in terms of one instrument down one side, one instrument down the other...

There's some left than right panning on some of the guitar tracks, but it's sat back into the ambience. And pretty much lost on Soundcloud.

...there's variations of stereo width through the mix, though the stereo image seems to have collapsed during Soundcloud processing.

...just uploading a new version. I've rejigged the Stereo Bus Compressor and Limiter. And gone into the mix and reworked some of the limiting on the individual instrument tracks etc.

...I've also backed off on the automated EQ I put on the stereo Bus to let more lows through in the Verses...

...and let more lows and more low mids through on the reverbs. Seems to have added some warmth and tone to the mix.

I've also emphasised the changes in Stereo Width a little more.

....a lot of it spans from how I was trained sound for film : Limiters - I was told to never use them. And I was trained to automate, rather than use a compressor. ...so I struggle to have any feeling for how I'm working the dynamics. ...just gonna take more practice.

Tobi
          Keymaster

Version 2... feels a little better.... still losing a bit of detail... but it's more like what I'm hearing in Cubase...

----also deleted.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Tobi.
            Tobi
            Keymaster

Version 3 - deleted for the good of all mankind 😉

Tobi
              Keymaster

The dobro still feels a little disconnected out there on the left.... on my setup at least 😉 ...not that I'm trusting that right now.

Great tone on the brass. The bridge after the second chorus sounds nice and big.

Violin sounds very sweet.

2nd listening....

Nice amount of mid on the organ - makes it sound nice and full.

Good detail on the drums, while still being heavy and full.

Not sure the reverb FX adds anything to the vocal 'rest until the morning liiiiiight'

Can't hear the piano in the choruses...

The final pre chorus is much better than before... really works to contrast the final chorus.

The violin is maaaaybe a touch harsh on the ear... but, really only a touch. May just be because I'm tired.

It feels very stereo throughout... which I like. Don't know if the choruses need to contrast more than the verses or not.... the choruses come in with a good sense of impact, so it's working well the way it is.

Really good... feels like you've moved it a little away from the 'hip hop' feel and more towards indie... which I think suits the song. Tricky mix... a lot going on. You've done very well with it.

Tobi
                Keymaster
                  TGMIX
                  Participant

Happy to offer up my take on this song for the competition. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated before I do my final revisions and submit.

https://soundcloud.com/tgmixer/always-with-me-tgmix-final-1

TGMIX
                    Participant
                      Ilan Benitah
                      Participant

I'm super late to this but here it is:
                        https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/20943677/Always%20With%20Me%20Mix02.mp3

What do you guys think? I'm usually happy with my vocals but not so much here IDK why it sounds that bad...

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Ilan Benitah.
                        • This reply was modified 7 years ago by Ilan Benitah.
                      Viewing 10 posts - 37 through 46 (of 46 total)
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.