Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Outboard Compressors

• This topic has 29 replies, 12 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aka setkya.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    pask74
    Participant

I've never used the ART stuff but I heard the Really Nice Compressors and Really Nice Levellers are great choices and affordable.

Rich Zei
      Participant

I've used the FNR stuff for years live. The RNC's were go to inserts on Bass and money vox for me. I used the RNL's for brickwall limiting. GREAT little units.

Johnny Sommerer
        Participant

Hi guys,

Got the warm audio wa76 today and i love it! What a great sound! The only problem is the delay that occurs (which is perfectly logical since the signal is being converted, processed and converted again) how do you guys use your outboard gear? I only worked itb before so some tips would be really appreciated! Thanks!

Cheers,
          Johnny

Lee Hawkins
          Participant

Johnny, congrats on the WA-76. You definitely wont be disappointed.

There is always a latency with outboard gear but DAW's should delay compensate the same as they do for plugins and the delay should only be a few 'ms'. This is normally done through the DAW I/O settings.

For me in Studio One and Cubase, it's a very simple process but probably difficult to explain in text. Dependent on your DAW, I found YouTube has great videos where you follow the setup. perhaps try there.

You will also need to setup routing in you interface. I am using RME which has TotalMix and first the routing is set up there. Again too complex to explain here, but consult your interface software for information.

I hope that helps (a little bit), but have fun. Vocals and Bass sound great through the WA-76. Get experimenting.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by Lee Hawkins.
            Johnny Sommerer
            Participant

hey lee,

thanks for the quick reply! do you use some kind of I/O plugin on the track itself? i know that there's something like this in logic and probably pro tools as well. gonna check out some youtube videos for sure!
              tried it on bass, kick and snare, really liked it there as well. thanks again!

cheers,
              johnny

Lee Hawkins
              Participant

Hi Johnny, I am not familiar with Logic but I am Cubase & Studio One but all the DAW's I have used require a plugin on the insert to access the external hardware. Each DAW is different unfortunately.

Kaleb Treacy
                Participant

Hey guys, I ended up going for the ART VLA & am pleasantly surprised. For the price, it adds a nice polish without being too noticeable. I haven't tried it on an actual mix yet but am looking forward too it. I do have an issue similar to Jonny though, I'm getting some serious pre-delay (if that can even happen) when I EQ through my board or use inserts. How does that happen? I understand delay as the main say kick will play, and then the new one a little after but this is odd. I've set the insert delay time at - so and so but it didn't work. At the moment I'm just dragging it forward so it's back in time

John Gleason
                  Participant

Johnny and Kaleb,

I am also a Cubase user, so I can't help on setting up your DAW. However, I had a VLA Pro II and Cubase measured the delay as .05ms (so it's not very much). If you are using a much higher number that may be causing your problem. Just a thought.

John

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by John Gleason.
                    • This reply was modified 8 years ago by John Gleason.
                    Kaleb Treacy
                    Participant

Cheers John. Yeah that's exactly what I'm getting, .5ms/458 or so samples. It's just recording it back to the track, the affected signal records earlier then the original. I haven't heard of that happening.

Johnny Sommerer
                      Participant

hi kaleb,

that's really odd, in my case i downloaded the latest console software of my apollo twin and it has an automatic latency compensation, it works fine now, but it took me a while. which daw are you using again?

cheers,
                        johnny

Kaleb Treacy
                        Participant

Hey Johnny,

I reckon! Super strange. I'm using Pro Tools 12.4. My console was an odd one to get it working in the first place, ZED R16, great desk but so many options as I come across new ways of working. I was hoping to figure it out before my next mix comes in, but I'm going to have to stay ITB for now.

Stoked that update worked for you. I did mine about a month ago, so unfortunately, no luck!

Cheers buddy

Jared Sherman
                          Participant

I would recommend FMR RNC. Get a couple - you will still be under budget and you will have compression that sounds as good or better anything you could have gotten just one of for that price! If you want to go higher I can recommend the Elysia XPressor - it's a true stereo unit, sounds great and is fully class A. If you get the 500 series version on a good deal (you should be able to find it for less than MSRP) it will be at the top end of your budget. And if you get a 500 rack while you are at it that will open up a whole new world for you.

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 30 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.