• This topic has 18 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 2 months ago by Tim Black.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Tim Black
    Participant

Hi to all

I am due to move into new house and build a new studio in the garage outbuilding

I have watched/read so much on studio builds my head now hurts lol. The room I have to play with is about 3.7meters wide 5.6meters long and the peak of the roof is about 10 foot. I will be building a room in a room once I have put a better and new roof on as the one there has holes plus made from asbestos so that must go first.

It also has a nice polished concrete floor. My thoughts for the internal walls to make the room within a room will be a stud work frame isolated from the existing building and laid with acoustics rockwool. I will then add iso rubber to the stud work for the OSB 11mm board and all joints filled with Green glue. On top of that will be acoustic db plasterboard 15mm with a layer of green glue between them. all the boards will dry lined so they are sealed ready for layer of tecsound 100 that will the have another layer of acoustic db plasterboard dry lined to be sealed. that is the main construction of the walls before acutely treating the inside to control reflections. the area at one end I am thinking a heavy treated area where desk and monitors are where the rest will have life in it for tracking drums and stuff.

I am going as heavy on the walls as I can afford as I we will need to be loud at all hours of the day and night with out upsetting others living around

it will be nice to have others thoughts and ideas as more info from experience is good

thank you

Tim B

Tim Black
      Participant

This Is the Garage I have to convert

Tim Black
        Participant

Tim Black
          Participant

My very ruff idea but with options to move stuff around depending on the best place to be for tracking instruments. There will be a coffee machine in there too lol.

• This reply was modified 8 months ago by Tim Black.
            Tim Black
            Participant

Hi to all just a little update. I have finally moved into new house and been working on house and a little in garden and all im waiting for is my roofer to come and price me happy for a new roof on what will be the new studio. once this has happened then its all go go go.

PURPLE MUSIC PRODUCTIONS
              Participant

Wow this seems like an awesome idea. Hopefully one day I can convert a building into an actual studio instead of using one of my bedrooms. Certainly keep us apprised of the progress. I love those exposed rafters as it gives it a beautiful and classic aesthetic vibe.

Tim Black
                Participant

hi to all an update I have been building a workshop to hold my tools and junk lol and that is more or less finished and I finally get to start to work on what will be the studio roof

Tim Black
                  Participant

might have to take out the rafters but may put back as fake to keep some character

Tim Black
                    Participant

I have now added new and more roof beams and looking like I will get just over a 9 foot ceiling hight on the inner frame once done.

New outer roof being started next week hopefully new roof beams

• This reply was modified 6 months ago by Tim Black.
                      Tim Black
                      Participant

hi to all

hit a snag lol speaking to builders and people in the know..... once I have put the new roof on I then have to have roof ventilation (I did not know this oops) to let cold air in to then push warm air out to stop condensation that could lead to other problems and I do not want that once all is built. my main concern was then its not a sealed outer shell and that not good for sound coming out.

lots of head scratching.

all I can think about doing is once the new roof is on with vents I will have to rock wool the roof and board it up and seal the inner roof boards that way the roof an breathe but is also sealed from the inside.

I thought I would share this as if anyone has any suggestions or is looking to do this themselves its defiantly something you have to think about

all the best from me (Tim B)

Tim Black
                        Participant

hi to all just had a update and the materials for new roof arrive next week and weather dependant will determine when I can fit so soon hopefully I can add some pics of new roof

Tim Black
                          Participant

The first part of the outer roof is on just got to lay down the breathable membrane then the tin roof and it will be watertight and ready to start the inside of the roof.. I am so happy to be starting on this bit as it will allow me to move on to getting studio ready.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 19 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.