Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk New Interface, ADAT, AES/EBU, Drum Recording

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 29 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Michał Wysokinski.
Viewing 6 posts - 25 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

The main issue with the UAD and Slate Digital Counterparts is that the hardware emulation is always going to take place after conversion.

...so the question is, do you need compression / EQ / transformers / tubes etc before Analogue to Digital conversion?

You can make argument that the dynamic range is so great now on modern converters, you have more than enough space, to facilitate 'virtual tracking' inside the box. However that is dependent on your input signal chain being clean enough to match the generous headroom that comes with modern converters. Real time 'virtual tracking' is also latency dependent. Your PC / MAC has to be able match the performance requirements with a high level of reliability (a lot to ask of the average PC).

On the other hand, outboard gear is very expensive. 16 channels of quality outboard preamp, EQ, compression is going to set you back a penny or two. Allen and Heath mixes are extremely competitive for the price and worth looking into. In America, Warm Audio products are so cheap, they're almost a no-brainer (not so clear cut, here in Europe). The other option is to build your own gear. I know several Academy members who do.

The simple truth is, no one knows right now because we're on the cusp of it changing. Hardware emulation is almost certainly the way of the future, but it's not quite here yet. ...yet. 😉

Tobi.

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Tobi.
      Lem Meador

Thanks, Guido. Good idea. I have thought about bouncing my tracks with initial changes as a work around, but, so far, my laptop has enough power to do everything that I need while mixing, so haven't used any initial bounces. The one thing that it doesn't do very well is provide the modified sound in real time while tracking for monitoring. It is possible to track with plugins in Logic, and I have tried it two or three times, but the latency is usually unacceptable to my clients. Even with Logic in Low Latency mode, they still complain. That's one of the advantages of using a system like the Universal Audio system or the Digigrid system from Waves: you can use a lot of processing in real time because the DSP in the interface handles all of that real time processing, eliminating the latency in the DAW and the computer. Main stream bands are starting to use these systems for Front of House mixes as well as monitoring. It's all getting very interesting. Thanks for the suggestions. Also, very much appreciate all that you are doing to support the Academy.

Lem Meador

Thanks for the response, Tobi. Good insights. The interesting thing about the Universal Audio system is that some of their plugins change some of the analogue circuits, prior to conversion. That system is called Unison. The primary thing that they change is the impedance of the mic circuit, and the gain structure, which is one of the interesting "behind the scenes" things that great mic pre makers discovered almost by accident some years ago. This is partly how they get those mic pre's to sound so great. The other thing that the folks at Universal Audio claim is that they can track through their interface with sub 2 ms latency, with some of their plugins in the chain. That's because the interfaces have DSP chips built in to the interface and the monitoring is all done through the interface. None of the actual audio is processed through the DAW or the computer. The computer just records the session, but all of the other processing is done through the onboard DSP, with the caveat that you can't exceed the DSP capability with the total requirements of the plugins.

I haven't ever considered building my own mic pre's or limiters, but in my early years, I was a telemetry technician for NASA so you'd think I could build a few circuits, especially if I had a kit to build on. But to even think about doing the same thing that Rupert Neve has done all his life is mind bending, to say the least.

You've definitely given me some food for thought. Thanks! And thanks for all that you do for the Academy. It is such an amazing and fun community. Cheers ....

Warren Huart
          Keymaster

Hi Guido, I just used the Focusrite 8PreX and it sounded great! I highly recommend it! The recording and video I shot at Sunset Sound used the Focusrite and I got the test it against a few million dollars worth of gear and it sounded fantastic! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Guido tum Suden
            Keymaster

Tanks Warren,
              Another confirmation that I bought the right thing.
              Next Step: Soldering Neutrik plugs to the 250 yards of cable I bought. 🙂

Michał Wysokinski
              Participant

Hello Tobi Davis.
                I realy need your advice.
                I recently bought a Rme Raydat like yours.
                That card needs extrernal ad/da converter and also mic preamps.
                Would you tell me how you solved that issue ?
                I saw you Have a ferrofish converter. Why that choice ? Why not Rme converter ?
                How did you plug in speaker monnitors, I mean did you connected into Ferrofish ?
                Can you explain the gear chain and cable routing, please.

Raydat card why not a rme uc or ucx ?
                I started to have doubts in my purchase.

Regards
                MWys

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by Michał Wysokinski.
              Viewing 6 posts - 25 through 30 (of 30 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.