Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Member Collaborations Multitracks for you to mix, my band 20 years ago

• This topic has 19 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Mary Nance.
Viewing 8 posts - 13 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Nate Wycoff
    Participant

Cool. I like the direction you're going. I feel like overall the balances are good, but maybe the shaker is pretty loud and possibly too bright, one thing I wanted to highlight in this song, well maybe not highlight but not cover up, was the work the drummer was doing on the hat. Man, he was such a good player it would be a shame to cover up his performance, there's already a lot of 16th note movement going on with the keys, so feel free to drop the shaker down a bit.

And maybe the guitars are a touch bright, maybe that's a taste thing though. There is a spot on the vocals where it sounded distorted, maybe a bit too much saturation?

Otherwise, I'm totally digging it. Kick sounds great, and I love the toms. And that weird effect slow down thing is frickin great!

I don't mind you posting the song, but don't tag the band on any social media, just because I haven't announced that the remixes are coming and I want it to be a surprise next year.

Thanks again for giving it a shot!

Cranky EmU
      Participant

Thanks, downloading now - not sure how many songs are in the 4gig motherload, but I will have a go at mixing whatever may be there.

Nate Wycoff
        Participant

Hey Stu, there are 10 songs from the album, and 4 from the EP.

Thanks and enjoy mixing!

Cranky EmU
          Participant
            Nate Wycoff
            Participant

Cool! Thanks Stu, I’ll give them a listen tonight!

Nate Wycoff
              Participant

Hey Stu,
                Here's my thoughts on your mixes. Oh and the band name is Captain i, not Captain. "Captain i" - we used the lowercase i way before ipods, ipads and iphones. lol

Frisky. I'm not really hearing the bass, I feel like there's a lot of low end too the bass, but I can't really hear what he's doing. The background vox are gone too. The lead vox (that's me singing btw) needs more air, more high end, feels like it's low passed too heavily.

And, oops, my bad. I accidentally left the summer instrumental in there. This must have been a trial run or something. There's a full song called Summer At Your Place. I didn't know this one was in there! lol. Sounds pretty good though. Bass is a little buried, but otherwise good stuff.

Cranky EmU
                Participant

Re (summer) the bass, I have just got a sub and still getting used to it. Thanks for the heads up there. Other who also listened to it before the reduction said there was to much of the bass in it.

And the name, rodger that, will correct it.

Frisky - I did not use the backing vocals, I thought it sounded fine with just the main vocal. There was no LP on the vocal either, I think I might have took a bit of top end off it - I've always said since I got these monitors that the top end is a bit harsh, so I do tend to wind it back sometimes.

I will have a crack at the vocalised Summer after I do this little empire song.

Mary Nance
                  Participant

Hey Nate,

You still wanting some collaboration on your music? I have wanted to do a collaboration inside the Academy and haven't gotten any replies. I'm pretty sure that most everyone is super busy with getting ready for the holidays 🙂 Anyways if you are still down to collaborate send me a quick reply and we can all start working on stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 13 through 20 (of 20 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.