• This topic has 30 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 3 years ago by Christopher Petro.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    TGMIX
    Participant

I have been using the Yamaha HS-7's and so far they have been good given the price point. I had the HS5 and returned them because I found them to be very harsh and hard to listen on for longer periods of time. They might be nice as a second set of monitors. My room is tiny so the HS8 might have been a bit much so I opted for the 7's and I am happy enough.

Jared Sherman
      Participant

I use Neumann KH310A speakers and Sennheiser HD800 headphones. My monitor controller is SPL Phonitor 2. I like the Neumann's quite a lot.

Lee Hawkins
        Participant

I use the Eve Audio SC205's. I tried about 8 pairs before I settled on them. I have a great dealer in th UK that has helped me demo units from them or direct from the manufacturer (or distributor). For me It's more about what works in my room and general fatigue issues with listening for long periods.

I have friends with £3K Focals in a poor sounding and small rooms and they sound pretty bad. He has learnt them, but he has made it harder for himself.

I also use AKG 712Pro, AKG 812Pro, and Sennheiser HD6 Headphones.

timmymac
          Participant

@Jared - I'd like to try the KH310A. I feel like there's too much lows missing with my small KH120's. I might just get the new Neumann subwoofer and be done with it!

@LEE - expensive monitors in a poor room still make you work for it. I've heard Barefoots in untreated rooms and they sounded pretty good. Still have to learn them of course.

Lee Hawkins
            Participant

Timmymac...Totally.

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Lee Hawkins.
              Brian for President
              Participant

Hey Anders, I too have the Yamaha HS8s. They seem popular here! LOL

The HS8s are not nearly as "legendary" as the older and ever-popular NS10s which Warren has (and you see a pair set up at Hybrid Studios in the recent photos/videos Warren posted). However, I have really liked my Hs8s since I bought them, and have found no reason to switch/shop around.

One thing that the "marketing speak" got right about them is if it sounds good on these, it sounds good anywhere else. This is due to the fact that the HS8s are known to be quite "flat", and don't flavor the sound too much at all.

This goes along with what @3rdstone was saying/experienced as well.

Just make sure to read the manual and select the proper settings for the room tuning switches on the back of each unit.

Happy monitoring!

Anders Isberg
                Participant

Thanks Brian and everyone. I have a pair of HS8s on order. Seemed like the best price/quality ratio, and my budget isn't that big at the moment. It'll probably get a while to get use to them, like with any piece of gear.

Mike Krowiak
                  Participant

I use Tannoy 501a's. I tried the 601a's, but the smaller 501's (with a touch of Yamaha sub) sound better in my small mix room. Also Grado SR325 open-air headphones (fantastic) and cheap mono cube. Earbuds, car speakers... 🙂
                    You need to hear how the speakers sound in your room...

Daniel
                    Participant

I use a pair of Neumann KH 310 at my "daywork studio" and a pair of Event Opals at my home mixing room! I love both set of speakers!

Warren Huart
                      Keymaster

Hi Daniel, I have used the Events over the years, they for a while easily the best speakers for the money that people had in their home studios! I'm interested to hear the Neumann speakers! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Daniel
                        Participant

Hey! Yeah, i bought the Events recently and they wont let you get away with a bad mix! i am actually starting to enjoy the opals more than the neumanns. There´s just some kind of openness in the high mids that's fantastic, and they go really low as well! I find the 310´s a bit aggressive sometimes.. But with that said they are living i separate rooms and i have never done an A/B between them. Both are fantastic monitors! could't be happier!

Warren Huart
                          Keymaster

Thant's great Daniel! I do think they are great value for money, everyone I know who has them loves them! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 31 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.