Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Member Collaborations Mix/Remix a house track - Emilsson - A Cold Night

• This topic has 24 replies, 5 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by stu brown.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 25 total)
  • Author
    Paul Motion
    Participant

Ha! True story Louis.. although it's most definitely "A Cold Night" over here.. wet, rainy and cold.. Still perfect mixing weather! πŸ˜€

stu brown
      Participant

Hey Magnus, very kind of you to provide these tracks, pretty difficult to find good quality electronic music to mix so was happy to have a go at this. Falls somewhere between a mix and remix I guess, nothing too adventurous but did quite a bit of editing so I don't know what you'd call it, but I had fun anyway. Very impressed with your programming skills btw, particularly liked how you got all the drums/perc and bass working together, nice stuff. Thanks, really appreciate the effort of doing this. Stu.
        https://soundcloud.com/manuke4/emilsson-a-cold-night-manuke-mix

Magnus Emilsson
        Participant

Hey Stu!

Thanks for the kind comments! I cannot comment on the mix itself (currently traveling with only my macbook speakers as sound source) but the remix/editing work is great and I will take another listen when I get back home next week!

/Magnus

stu brown
          Participant

Hey Magnus, thanks for the reply and having a listen. That's a relief you don't mind the edits, bit nervous when I start to butcher someone's tune!

Frequency Painter
            Participant

Hi Magnus,

I had a go with your song. πŸ™‚ I like the composition, and I think Sunday Dubs & Night Time Driving are even better. Nice vibe!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xv70slaup4s8wee/Emilsson-ColdNight-1.5.wav?dl=0

Cheers,
              Louis

Magnus Emilsson
              Participant

Hey Louis! Great remix, I like the harder edge and style you took it. Super work, slammin.

Stu, had a chance now to listen on better speakers to your mix, nice work!

Paul Motion
                Participant

Hey guys, both remixes sound great! Quite inspiring...

stu brown
                  Participant

Hey Louis, that's a great mix, you've really upped the energy on this one. Really nice work, enjoyed it a lot.
                    Magnus, thanks for having a listen. Might have a go at the new one tonight.
                    Paul, thanks for that, appreciate it.

Frequency Painter
                    Participant

Hi all,

Sorry for the late response, I took some R&R πŸ™‚

@ Magnus
                      Thx man, it was quite a journey tbh. I first tried a heavy tech house approach, but it wasn't really fitting the "song" so I toned down the heavy/dark feel keeping just a few elements i.e. a heavier BD and some low key delay/rumble on it. It may sound a bit weird and nerdy, but the syncopated hihat kind of dictated a more "clean" soundscape imo. So I ended up with a more cosmic techno vibe accentuating the hypnotic feel of the original. I also fiddled with the timing of the bass to make it fit the movement of the BD delay. Once again, thx of the opportunity.

@ Paul
                      Eagerly waiting to hear your take on this πŸ™‚

@ Stu
                      Thx. I like your creative editing, the refreshing grooves you created with the original tracks and the rawness of it all. I do spot some conflicting frequencies between the bass tracks and the bass drum eating away the punch of the latter and the overall transparency/consistency of the low end... But regardless, I think your approach is much more creative than mine, something I need to work on. Listening to your version was really inspiring to say the least.

And now we all should try and convince Magnus to let us (re)mix the other songs of his EP πŸ™‚

Cheers guys,
                      Louis

Magnus Emilsson
                      Participant

Louis, I've uploaded another in this forum.

Frequency Painter
                        Participant

Oooh cool!!!

Paul Motion
                          Participant

Hey guys, this is definitely on the list. I’m toying with a redo on the kit for Paralyze at the moment. I’ve also spent some time on the Puremix mix comp but then got told it’s not open to Australians. I might submit my mix just for the hell of it though.

Definitely will get to this one though. πŸ™‚

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 25 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.