Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DAWs Digital Performer lone wolf

• This topic has 13 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Kenny Mac.
Viewing 2 posts - 13 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Kenny Mac
    Participant

I've been using DP since 2009 / version 5. I spent many years working with Pro Tools and Cubase also (I swapped to DP because I was Mac and it would interop with my older MOTU hardware). All v fab in their own way...

DP's pitch analysis and processing really made it excel as a musical tool, now tools like Melodyne bring that power to other DAWs. DP's main drawback is its lack of VCA groups, so summing using stems is a pain if you're using channel level aux sends.

>> I'll definitely check out 9.5. What are your findings in using it?
      The main improvement is in its vastly improved time-stretching algorithms (prior to that, imho sonic artefacts made it unusable, esp. on XY pairs).

I used the feature a lot with a few older recordings, to break away from constant-tempo clicks, for example, before a chorus, ease off the tempo, and then lift tempo slightly, before returning to original, e.g. to make drum programming sound a bit more human. DP's ability to 'adjust soundbites to sequence tempo' was always stunningly good - but you really had to re-record everything afterwards... now, at least some tracks continue to be usable (esp if you're only time-stretching short passages).

All sample rate conversion (dynamic re-interpolation) loses absolute sonic quality, so it's definitely not a feature you'd use on audiophile mixes (though, when you're in the realm of synthetic fx, it's a "must have" addition to the toolkit)

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Kenny Mac.
      Kenny Mac
      Participant

ps. Check out the recent Tape Op interview with Juana Molina - some of her audio work (all Digital Performer) is just exceptional!
        https://soundcloud.com/tapeopmagazine/tape-op-podcast-episode-9-juana-molina

Viewing 2 posts - 13 through 14 (of 14 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.