Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Hofa Christmas Mix/Remix Contest (Deadline Jan 21st 2019)

• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Dylan Hughes.
Viewing 6 posts - 13 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Dylan Hughes
    Participant

HERES MY MARYAM MIX ENTRY

I could spend more time making it better but hey ho ! its a mix.

https://soundcloud.com/dylansmixes/maryam-mix-by-dylan-hughes

• This reply was modified 5 years ago by Dylan Hughes.
      Rob Ursino
      Participant

Hi Dylan, there's some low-mid frequency in the vocal track, 250-300Hz, that probably you can cut to get rid of some boxiness, at the end of the song, when the second voice comes in, there's also some balance problems maybe the second voice it's too loud...

I also haven't spent a lot of time to mix this song, it's Jazz that absolutely is not my genre, but as a good mixing exercise I try to get at least a good balancy in frequency and levels and the right ambient in relation to the song!

Rob Ursino
        Participant

Hi Jerritt, nice mix! Maybe you can low down the reverb a little bit on the lead vocals, or if you like the tail that reverb has, put a side chain compressor on the reverb return buss using the lead channel as its sidechain source.

Rob Ursino
          Participant

[quote quote=55377]Hi All when I heard the mixes here I had to go back and re do mine but now I am fairly happy but would love a second opinion,you know how it is when you are so close to a project you can often miss something obvious to another set of ears
            Thanks Mervyn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz296842zx125mw/HOFA%20MIX%20Comp%202018%20V2.wav?dl=0[/quote]

Hi Mervin, my mix sounds very dark than yours, that means that yours is more brilliant and most of the time it's a good thing, but maybe the frequency balance of your mix have too much power in the presence range, especially with the brasses, I also don't hear any bass frequency from the kick and I noticed just at the end of the song that it sounds more like an heavy metal kick than a ick from a jazz drum set.

Hope this can help you, good luck for the contest!

Mervyn Walker
            Participant

Hi Rob thanks for taking the time to listen, I have changed the balance of the mix since this version but didn't upload the new one as it seemed too quiet here ,but anyway thanks for your comments and also good luck.
              Mervyn

Dylan Hughes
              Participant

Thanks rob ! yeah i agree ! i too thought vocal was a bit boxy ! and yeah i was gonna adjust the vocla at the end but couldnt be bothered ! : P happy mixing !
                cheers !

Viewing 6 posts - 13 through 18 (of 18 total)
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.