Academy Dashboard Forum Collaboration - Competition Competitions (Mixing, Songwriting, etc.) Hofa Christmas Mix/Remix Contest (Deadline Jan 21st 2019)

• This topic has 17 replies, 7 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by Dylan Hughes.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Tobi
    Keymaster

It's the time of year when family and friends come first..

..so here's a mix contest instead!

https://hofa-plugins.de/en/events/hofa-xmas-mix-contest-2018

You can either mix or remix the track. All is explained on the website.

Deadline in Jan 21st.

Post mixes/remixes below for feedback.

*If you do post, do your bit to support the community and try to give feedback on 1 - 2 other tracks.

- Very often your honest emotional feedback will be the most useful to the mixer.
      - You don't need to give technical feedback or tips/advice.
      - Simply saying what works for you and what doesn't can be enough.
      - Try to keep things friendly and respectful.

Have fun kiddies and let's bring it home for Warren and the Academy!

Tobi.

Dylan Hughes
      Participant

mate thanks so much for posting ! i was just searching for an extra mix to hone some more skills ! : )

lovelee jubblee ! : ) plenty of time too ! i looked on google and then i found right here in our very own home of plappyness ! : P

this sounds exceptional too ! gonna be fucking hard to beat there mix lol !! wowsa ! ha.
        im sure i can do something pretty decent with it tho ! : )

thanks man happy christmass mixingz !!

Dylan Hughes
        Participant

now heres a present for you ma boy !!
          FREE DISTORTION PLUGIN BABAY !!
          https://www.pluginboutique.com/products/4888-Ravage-Lite

Tobi
          Keymaster

Yep, ref mix is pretty tight. Interesting challenge, this one. Not exactly my usual - enjoying it though.

Plugin Boutique are great! Thanks for posting! I grabbed that one already. Well worth keeping up with their mailing list. They always have something going for crazy cheap every couple of months.

Tobi.

Martin Østervig Larsen
            Participant

Hi Tobi,

Thanks for sharing this. I had a go at it: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w1bvkylzcagnbyj/Meryam%20-%20M%C3%98L%20mix%20v2.mp3?dl=0

Quite challenging with the horns but nice to get some experience with that.

It's very well recorded so I went for a "less is more" approach. Tried to emphasize the dynamics.

Any feedback is welcome!

Best,
              Martin.

Tobi
              Keymaster

Hi Martin,

I like the shuffle you've brought out on the mix. Yes, the dynamics are coming across well. The separation between instruments is coming across well.

It's a very good mix. I thiiiink the reverb might be slightly inconsistent. Some of the depths feel a little odd. The sax on the right hand side at around 1min10 sec, I not sure I quite the sense of physical space from the main brass hits + vocals to the more sat back instruments to the instruments right at the back. It may not even be a reverb thing - put rather how you're managing the depth as a whole.

Couple of the sat back instruments feel like they're dropping out the back of the mix a touch. But having said that, I get why you've gone for so open and dynamic. ..so I don't really mind it.

The centre of mix feels a little crowded at times - but only slightly.

There's a couple of 'wisps' on the vocals - which might need automating. Again though, it's kinda how she sings - so it's part of the character of her voice. I'd be very gentle if attempting to correct it.

Maaaybe the core drums + basss get a little lost - only a little - as you're automating to feature the different parts? The mix might benefit from a little more emphasis on that core bass / drum arrangement - as it keeps the groove.

But as I said, it's extremely good. I'd be very happy to turn in a mix of that quality. I had to listen through twice, before I heard anything that I could write about. I'd be very cautious if you're going to change it - you've got it working very well. A few very slight changes might make it go that bit further 🙂

Excellent work!

Tobi.

Martin Østervig Larsen
                Participant

Hi Tobi,

Thanks so much for the feedback and nice words! I think you're very on point when I listened again. Thanks!

Best,
                  Martin.

James Gorman
                  Participant

Hi Martin, how did you go? I'd echo Tobi's thoughts, great track most of the things are minor. Only thing to add is maybe part of the problem is the wide panned but relatively mono horns, so that when they play against each other the image of the close mics jumps around more than the room mics.

James Gorman
                    Participant

Allrighty, here's my take on this. I still have a note for some boomines in one of the vocal part that I want to look at again, but otherwise I'm happy with where I got to.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1yaG4v60yIh9eTqR6iZ6SDhZSxzSPmoUk

Mervyn Walker
                      Participant

Hi All when I heard the mixes here I had to go back and re do mine but now I am fairly happy but would love a second opinion,you know how it is when you are so close to a project you can often miss something obvious to another set of ears
                        Thanks Mervyn

https://www.dropbox.com/s/bz296842zx125mw/HOFA%20MIX%20Comp%202018%20V2.wav?dl=0

Rob Ursino
                        Participant

Hello there,
                          this is my mix of Maryam:

[url]https://songcheck.de/song/1358/[/url]

any feedback will be appreciated
                          thanks

Jerritt Rhett
                          Participant

I just submitted my mix! I look forward to any and all feedback.

https://soundcloud.com/jj-rhett/maryam-hofa-stefanie-lenk

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 18 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.