Academy Dashboard Forum Production Recording Techniques Does anyone here suffer with annoying guitar resonances?

• This topic has 15 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Sean.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    JamEZmusic
    Participant

Hey,

I am trying to record a stereo rhythm (strummed chords) for an acoustic instrumental mix which is very sparse, but after capturing a pretty good performance I noticed an unbearable high pitch ringing resonance that I just can't EQ out, I've tried de-esser/multiband compression too but no luck, so I need to re-track I think, but wondering if anyone here has any advice for me so I don't make the same mistake again? Or is there a way to eliminate the sound from my current recording?

I CAN EQ is out but the whole guitar sounds far too dark if I do that? What would you do in my situation?

Really appreciate any replies! Thanks you.

Edit: I really suck at writing on IPad, I'm sorry about that, I'll write on computer next time.

James

• This topic was modified 6 years ago by JamEZmusic.
      Arthur Labus

Hi James.
        I had something similar i guess with electric guitars.
        Transient shaper was the solution and worked for me.
        Just set the sustain to so short as possible.
        Used Dominion from Digitalfishphones. Sadly it is for PC and 32bit only.
        Hope it helps.

JamEZmusic
        Participant

Arthur, I really appreciate that. I don't think I was very clear in describing the resonance I am getting though, because I don't think the kind of resonance that I am getting on my Steel string acoustic guitar would be the same kind of problem that would translate over to the Electric because no hollow body? It's a high ringing sound that isn't part of the attack? it rings through in between each strum, so I'm not sure if the transient designer would work for that would it?

I could be wrong in assuming the Transient Shaper plugin you speak of is the same as a standard Enveloper plugin (like in Logic X?) As in, it you can shape the attack or release of a transient?

Bit of a bugger that I can't try it out because I'm using Mac, I will give the Enveloper plugin a go in a second see if it helps some.

Thanks so much for response.

Cheers,
          James

Edit: I just tried using Enveloper and setting release and adjusting gain down a touch but didn't really do the trick unfortunately, it made the guitar pump too heavily. I can see this being really useful for me still, so I'm glad you mentioned it! Nice one

Edit2: mate, just listened to your "operetta in Bb" mix, Song is fantastic!

• This reply was modified 6 years ago by JamEZmusic. Reason: Typos
          • This reply was modified 6 years ago by JamEZmusic.
          • This reply was modified 6 years ago by JamEZmusic.
          Arthur Labus

You could upload a sample so we could better undestand the issue and maybe try to fix it then.
            I would try 😉
            Glad you like "Operetta" !

JamEZmusic
            Participant

https://soundcloud.com/jamezmusic-1/horrible-guitar-resonancetemporary-file

Just a short clip, ignore my shoddy playing, just did this quick. But do you hear what I mean? That high ringing resonance is a real sod, and making my song "un-mixable"

Arthur Labus

Yup, ok, this is not so nice.
                I tried some "tricks" and i agree, it should be hard to clean it up without loosing the "sound".
                Used Dominion - it brings some improvement. TDR Nova and Sound Radix Surfer EQ - not really.
                Last thing i would try - notch EQ, maybe several bands. Surgery 😉

JamEZmusic
                Participant

Maybe I'm doing it all wrong, but I'm hearing a particular harshness at exactly 10khz, so I cut as much as possible there, and then from memory I tried to clean it up at 5150hz I think? cutting those 2 areas with narrow surgical EQ helped but the guitar just got too dark.....

I'm not at all opposed to recording the part again though! I just didn't want to record all parts again then be left in the same situation, I was wondering if someone here has stumbled across this problem before and could tell me what is wrong and what I can do to help, haha. I think I need to either work on mic technique, and dampening down the guitar maybe? with some kind of cloth. I am already taking the room out of the equation by recording inside duvets which gets rid of all room (to my ears) so I'm pretty sure it's not a room resonance. Maybe I got a dud guitar? might need to do some work to it? I'm so lost on this one.

Hey, thanks for spending time on trying some of your processes on the guitar recording, it means a lot! I really didn't expect you to, thanks mate.

Arthur Labus

You're welcome James !
                    Learning all the time 🙂
                    Unfortunately, i am neither guitar player nor recording guru 😉

JamEZmusic
                    Participant

No worries Arthur, really though, thanks!!!

You take care, will speak soon I'm sure.

Andrew Mckenzie
                      Participant

Have you tried sweeping the frequency spectrum to find the resonance and notch them down?
                        Just having a play with the example you attached and I'm finding an improvement using the following settings as a quick reference:

-High pass @ 120hz
                        -Low pass @ 7.3khz
                        -Gentle 2.8db boost @ 3khz
                        -some high q (notch) cuts to 1.789khz, 3.75khz and 7.37khz (there's probably a few more depending on your ears)

I had to do the same with my cousin's Dobro that I recorded for a few of his songs at various frequencies.

Not sure if that helps or not but it may be worth a shot.

Cheers...Andrew

JamEZmusic
                        Participant

Maybe it's just me not pinpointing the frequencies! I will have a good go at trying to salvage the track using some of the EQ's you mentioned, most of my cuts were not around where you mentioned, did you just find those areas by doing the boost and sweep method?

So I will give these a good go again, but can't really try them out right now but I will get back to you, thanks a lot Andrew, will try again!

So how did you guys get ahold of the track I posted on soundcloud anyhow?

Really appreciate the responses! You'll hear from me soon.

Andrew Mckenzie
                          Participant

I recorded the track into audacity from soundcloud and imported it into Reason as a wave file. Then used the virtual SSL eq which can be used in a graphical mode to sweep through and find the peaks which are easy to spot and hear at the same time. I'll see if I can attach a screenshot or 2.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 16 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.