Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DIY Capi VP26

• This topic has 23 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Warren Huart.
Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    Jeff Macdonald

I would check out the Lindell Audio 10 space rack - I picked one up for $399USD and it has not let me down, it's by far the least expensive rack I have seen - I think they also make smaller ones. The build quality is excellent and it has all Neutrik connectors.

Jared Sherman
      Participant

I was asking David Barrett at SoundPure about the Lindell and he recommended me away from it. I think I am going to go with the Purple or the Heritage when I eventually get one. I am glad it is working well for you though, because you are right that $399 for 10 slots is amazing.

Jeff Macdonald

@timmymac After a huge delay, I finally got some drum tracks with the vp312s. How would you like me to send them along? I can upload a drums only session to drop box, or print a stereo oh file for you. I'll also include all the details on how I set up so you can get a more objective opinion.

timmymac
          Participant

Awesome! Dropbox works for me. Looking forward to it. What mics did you use??

Jeff Macdonald

I just hung a diffuser and some broadband absorbers so I will be doing some more tracking this weekend to see how that worked out.

I will be using a pair of advanced audio CM-12SE's for overheads to see how they fare. I also have a set of CM-414s I am itching to try.

The existing tracks are done with a heavily modified pair of Marshall LDCs - with a pretty much untreated room with high ceilings.

I toss both sets up for you with a complete rundown of the signal path/drums used.

I should be able to get the first set of files up tonight if all goes to plan.

timmymac
              Participant

Cool! I was wonder how those AA mics sound on overheads. Very cool. Looking forward to it!

Jeff Macdonald

Here are the drum files with the untreated room:

24bit/44.1khz

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/d4vre40ucp7yga1/AAC9bYZHCfaaqqtMP0FohRzta?dl=0

Signal Paths:

Kick In: Shure Beta 52 -> CAPI VP-26 -> dbx 160x
                  Kick Out: Micparts.com S25 -> AML
                  Snare Top: Shure SM57 -> CAPI VP26 -> dbx160x
                  Snare Bottom: Shure SM57 -> Focusrite Clarett Pre (Air ON)
                  Tom 1: Audix D4 -> Focusrite Clarett Pre (Air ON)
                  Tom 2: Audix D6 -> Focusrite Clarett Pre (Air ON)
                  OH L (Hat), R (Ride) [46.5" from centre of snare): Marsall 2001 Jolly Mod LDC -> CAPI VP312
                  Room L (Hat), R (Ride) [121" from snare]: Modified Chinese 121 rip-offs (replaced ribbons and transformers) -> CP5 Mic pres - no colour applied
                  Room M - AKG414B -> Clarett Pre (Air ON)

Everything is running through a Clarett 8PreX all the 500 series are coming in through a SwissSonic AD24 ADAT out to the Clarett.

Drums Sonor Force 2007: 20" kick, 12" Tom, 16" floor Tom, Snare 14x5" Supraphonic
                  Heads: Kick: Aquarian Superkick 1 Evans Resonant, TOMS: Evans EC2 top, Resonant Clear bottom, SNARE: Power dot top, evans snare side.

Cymbals: Soultone Gospels 14" hats, 17" & 18" Crash, 22" Ride, 17" FX crash.

Room is 22' wide 33' long with 14' ceilings with 2 4'x8x8" gobos behind the kit to try to take some of the room out of the close mics.

Hopefully this is enough information to paint a picture of what you are hearing in the files.

I'll try to get some pictures for perspective once I clean up everything.

Cheers,

Jeff

• This reply was modified 7 years ago by Jeff Macdonald.
                  • This reply was modified 7 years ago by Jeff Macdonald. Reason: forgot the x on the dbx 160x's
                  Warren Huart
                  Keymaster

Wow! Thanks ever so much for the amazing detail!! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Chris Sweet
                    Participant

I've got a pair of the VP26's and like them a lot. Especially on guitars and and keys. I usually reach for my neve channel on vocals and bass.

Warren Huart
                      Keymaster

Hi Chris, I'm seeing the VP26's every where amongst my friends! I hope you're having a marvellous weekend! Many thanks Warren

Jeff Macdonald

Is the Neve channel a 1073 Chris? I am looking at getting a 1073 clone very soon for those exact uses. Are you using a 500 series, if so would you mind sharing which one, and your opinion of it?

Warren Huart
                          Keymaster

I believe it's an API style Pre. Erik and Bob at Echo Bar, Rob Schnapf and many others love them! Have a marvellous time recording and mixing, many thanks Warren

Viewing 12 posts - 13 through 24 (of 24 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.