Academy Dashboard Forum Studio DIY Capi VP26

• This topic has 23 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Warren Huart.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)
  • Author
    timmymac
    Participant

Just assembled a capi-gear.com VP26 kit. It sounds awesome!! Low mids sound amazing. Really nice on bass. Got the red-dot opamp with it. Assembly took a few hours since it was my first time building one of these. Definitely going to get a few more. Like it way more on bass than my BAE 312A. Probably because I can drive the input transformer harder and dial back the output level. Need to try it out on drums next. 🙂 Also, at first thought the mute switch was a waste but I'm actually loving this switch. Great stuff!

Jeff Macdonald

Looks great! I just placed an order for a vp26 and one of the 312s. I'd definitely like to hear your impressions of how it sounds on drums once you get a chance to try it out.

Steve A
        Participant

Looks like I need to get on board with this, looks fantastic timmymac!
          Thanks for the pics and review!

timmymac
          Participant

Yeah a lot of fun to build too! I want more! ?
            @jbmacdo3 - so what's the story with the VP312? I thought I heard it was clearer in the high frequencies and better on cymbals and acoustic gtr. Is that the case??

Jeff Macdonald

@timmymac I will certainly let you know when I find some time to build it - right now with the 9-5 it's going to take a while sadly. From what I have read, and the reason I got 2, was it is a "cleaner" version of the VP25, which is slightly less coloured than the VP26. I will report back once I get everything here and built and tested.

Cheers,

J

Jeff Macdonald

@timmymac I have a 312 built and a vp26 on the bench waiting for the transformers to go in. I am hoping that will be done by tomorrow evening. I'll report back then on the differences and maybe even try to do some sort of comparison. Is there a source you'd like to hear the 312 on?

Also, have you had a chance to try the VP26 on drums? If so, what are your impressions?

Jeff

timmymac
                Participant

Yes would love to hear 312 on overheads (cymbals) compared to vp26. Sadly haven't had time to try the vp26 out on drums yet. Will do soon. Thanks!!

Jared Sherman
                  Participant

I have been looking at these CAPI modules pretty closely. I've been thinking about the VP28, and their compressor and Love Child EQ. Since this would be my first foray into the 500 series format, I thought about the PSU as well, but it seems really pricey for a DIY built supply when you can get a good one pre built for around that same price, maybe just a little more. Any thoughts on chassis/PSUs? What are you guys using for your 500 series racks?

timmymac
                    Participant

I got lucky and scored a BAE 11-space rack off eBay for $500. It had a broken ground which took 2 seconds to solder. You can find some deals on 6 space chassis.

Jared Sherman
                      Participant

What a steal of a deal on the BAE!

timmymac
                        Participant

Yup! The capi rack looks nice but to get the most bang for your buck you have to buy 2 racks. The one psu will drive 2 full racks.

Jared Sherman
                          Participant

Yeah, I know. I find that disappointing. There is such a low probability I will need multiple racks it's not worth considering the "savings" on that second rack for me. Of course I say that now, let's just see in a few years if I can contain myself enough, lol.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 24 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.