• This topic has 16 replies, 4 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by Arthur Labus.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Richard Rippon
    Participant
      Tobi
      Keymaster

Thanks for posting... just downloading the multitracks....

Tobi
        Keymaster

Copied and pasted info from website :

The song was written and played by myself and Mark Richey (Red Line Tragedy). So I’m not the best guitar player in the world. Sue me (Just kidding, don’t sue me. I hate paperwork.). You get the DI tracks of all the guitars, with the neck and the bridge pickups tracked onto separate tracks (my favorite way to track guitars). You also get the DI bass track (bridge pickup only). Drums are samples, so you can either use the raw samples that I provided, or you can download the MIDI track and use whatever samples you want.

Everything is as raw as it can be. I really don’t want to sit through 2000 mixes that all sound the same. Do NOT use my version of the song as a reference. It’s just there to give you an idea of what the song sounds like. I want you to come up with your own take on the song. Plus, my guitars sound too fizzy anyway.

Song BPM: 170

Time Signature: 4/4

Standard guitar tuning

Mixes must be submitted by Saturday, September 4th at Midnight PST.

Tobi
          Keymaster

Just had quick listen to the tracks... sounds like it could be fun!

Tobi
            Keymaster

Here's my mix....

Had lots of fun with this one... which is always a bad sign πŸ˜‰

Replaced the Guitars with some huge honking synths. Added some offensive drums samples. Gave the vocals and backing vocals degrees of saturation, distortion and decimation (is that a word?).

Slammed the mix through a protracted series of compressors and limiters, each taking no more 4db off and each followed up by a corrective EQ. ...Hopefully I've controlled the dynamic range and still have some tonality left!!!

Went wacky on the nooooise FX for beginning and end, because.... it's a huge honking rock track!

My head is fuzzed up and I can't tell you if it's good or not.... but I had a good time πŸ˜‰

https://soundcloud.com/toby-davis-925439564/low-down-mixed-by-toby-v1-boz-digital-mixing-contest

Richard Rippon
              Participant

I LOVE it Toby. I think it's great. You are starting to get into Nine Inch Nails territory.
                Great Work.

Rich

Tobi
                Keymaster

Thanks Rich! That means a lot to me πŸ™‚ Worked my a*se off on this one... really appreciate the quick reply too!

Have a great weekend!

Anders Isberg
                  Participant

Fantastic mix Toby! The synths sound amazing. The vocals might get a bit lost here and there. Overall I much prefer this over the original version.

Tobi
                    Keymaster

Thanks Anders! Yeah... I left the vocals like that... I think I just about get away with it.... but, there are one or two moments when it's noticeable. Probably should have automated them up... or down to make it clear, they weren't supposed to be heard.

Really glad you like the mix! Means a lot to me πŸ™‚

Arthur Labus

Some serious industrial stuff Toby. Yeah... vocals get lost. Agree with Anders.
                        Watch out for that "bump" at the beginning of the track - it seems to be not intended πŸ˜‰

I am working on that track - that will be last minute submission !

Tobi
                        Keymaster

Thanks Arthur!

A lot of those vocals are backing vocals, they're supposed to be very sat back... almost ambient. I think there's one moment, when they're actually a little too high and it feels like you should be able hear them more clearly....

...bump? You mean the little FX pop right at the start? ...I like that, I kept it πŸ™‚ It's naaaasty!

What about the drums Arthur? Huh... oh drum guru πŸ˜‰ What about the drums?

...looking forward to hearing the Arthur version.... Dread Zeppelin inspired? πŸ˜‰

Arthur Labus

Ha ha, clearly noes (no-yes) πŸ˜€
                            I have simple not time to do something radical, so it will be pretty simple.
                            But... ha ha YES - i use acrylic drum kit with "Bonzo - like" setup. So you'll have vintage drums and high gain modern guitars.
                            And i am really not the drum guru. I was not soo good drummer in the past and using drum computer to create the tracks isn't really good fundantion to mix "real" drums. I have always huge problems with.
                            Back to mixing ...

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 17 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.