Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business Your business website

• This topic has 10 replies, 6 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Rich Zei.
Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Anders Isberg
    Participant

Hey everyone!

I'm working on a business website at the moment. Would love to see yours for inspiration. Please share your site here if you've got one. I'm also interested in hearing your experiences with and thoughts on different website services.

Steve A
      Participant

I'm afraid I'm just along for the ride on this one, as I'm interested in the same thing.
        Are you talking strictly business or are you looking for artistic/layout ideas for music production etc.?
        Mike K, who I haven't seen in a while, has one I think is pretty good: http://www.thirdwaveaudio.com/

Anders Isberg
        Participant

Thank you Steve! I agree that Mike's site is a good one. I was mainly thinking of sites where you promote your business and give info to potential clients, since this is the Music Business forum, but artist sites can of course be of value as an inspiration for layout.

Andrew Mckenzie
          Participant

Well I have worked around IT for the last 20 ish years and been involved in quite a few website projects and even developed a few back in the day so I'm happy to lend any experience I can to help out our fellow PLAPA's 🙂

The biggest issue is usually not the website as such ...but what to put on it! "Content" Yep that stuff that keeps people coming back and claiming an interest in what you have to offer.

So what makes a good website then? That's a great question and really depends on the kind of content you want to put out there, for a music/mixer/producer/artist type site, then I would suggest plenty of content that showcases your work. Also some easily found info in case the viewer want's to go deeper into specific info about that work or your services etc.

Navigation is the key to a great site and a good rule of thumb is that the viewer should not have to click more that 3 times to find what they want.

Fancy graphics is another key ingredient, nothing turns people away faster than an "amateur" looking site, so if you have the skill of graphic design, then great, otherwise consider hiring someone else to come up with a graphic design you can use on your site.

Keep it simple and think about your target audience in terms of what you might expect them to use when viewing your site, a lot of websites these days have different templates "layout" for mobile users which is great, look for a solution that enables you to do this if possible. You know how many smart phones and tablet devices are out there, I know I use a few of them. 🙂

Get yourself a domain name and try and secure the one you want before ordering any of your "fancy graphics" you'd be surprised to find just how hard it is to come up with a domain name that hasn't already been taken....

Find a decent website hosting company that offers the right kind of price/performance/features you need (also sometimes harder than you might think)as well as the ability to quickly setup your flavour of website a.k.a. the type of website you intend to use such as a content management system like Drupal, Joomla, WordPress etc. Usually the same hosting company can offer the other essential services as well such as DNS and Mail hosting.

Once the site is up and responding to your domain name then you can apply the template/grahpics/logo etc and start adding your content.

I'm not sure if that covered too little or too much...Let me know. 🙂

Cheers...Andrew

Anders Isberg
            Participant

Great stuff Andrew! That's extremely helpful.

Steve A
              Participant

Hey Andrew...you're hired mate! ..lolz..
                Seriously though. ..great stuff! Thanks!

Andrew Mckenzie
                Participant

No worries lads, if you find and specific stuff you're stuck on then shout out. 🙂

Chris Sweet
                  Participant

I think I'm going to go with square space. Fantastic looking sites. I'm thinking just a cover page site to keep it sleek and modern looking; and relatively inexpensive which is a priority.

Rich Zei
                    Participant

still a work in progress using a simple wordpress template:

https://richzeiaudio.wordpress.com/

Magnus Johansson
                      Participant

Ha, love that mix in progress note:D

Rich Zei
                        Participant

Yeah, I found it online somewhere.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.