Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Studio Building / Acoustics Yet another DIY acoustic tratment idea

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 2 years ago by Jeff Macdonald.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    John Traynor
    Participant

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Greenfiber-Low-Dust-Cellulose-Blown-In-Insulation-19-lbs-INS541LD/100318635

If I were to build a wooden frame around a row of these to maintain the shape and to aid with stackability, then cut away the front face of the packaging to expose the insulation and stack them along the rear wall behind my mixing space, would this be effective as a bass trap and/or broadband acoustic treatment.

This would be an awesome DIY solution as I could cover most of my wall for a little more than the price of one commercial bass trap panel from GIK Acoustics

Jeff Macdonald

I think while in theory this should work - cutting these packages open with nothing to hold the cellulose in place will just result in it going everywhere.  I have worked extensively with this insulating attics and you will have to make sure that you build something to contain it.   You could face the wooden frame with polyester (similar to the stuff that's used on box springs) to hold the insulation in, but getting it packed densely enough into those spaces might prove difficult.

I would say you're better off getting Rockwool RHT40 or RHT60, or RockBoard 40/60 or Owens Corning 703/705.  These are compressed insulations and have very good acoustic coefficients, even down into the upper bass frequencies.  The main advantage with these is they are easy to cut and cover - they make excellent broadband absorbers and can be 'tuned' by establishing air gaps behind the material in conjunction with different densities and thickness.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.