Academy Dashboard Forum Production Music Business Working with Topline-Singer

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by face (chris) Janton.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Fred Guggenberger
    Participant

Hello everybody!

I could use a little help ..

I am doing collaborations with co-writers. Normally, we wrote the song together (like me: music, co-writer: lyrics). I did the production and mixing and we shared everything 50 / 50. Now I am working with a partner who is writing melody and lyrics to tracks I worked on, that still had no vocals or melodys. I heard, it´s called Topline writing.

We talked about how to share the income and agreed on 50 / 50. I also read, that this is normal for top line writing.

My problem is, that I have no contract or agreement to use in this situation. It´s also a little confusing me. In my head, a normal share would be: Me 50 % of the music, Partner: 50 % of the music, 100 % of the lyrics. Both 50 % of income from sales, streams and sync licenses. But the way, topline writing is done, seems to be 50/50 on everything.

I don´t want to appear as a guy that is ripping his partner of. At the other hand, it seems to be a normal thing. Also to my partner, who seems to be more experienced in top line writing than me.

I checked Google to know more about it, but I couldn´t find a sample contract to use (and understand the whole thing fully).

Any help would be welcome!

Thank you!!
      Fred

face (chris) Janton
      Participant

Simply share *all* of it 50/50? No 100 this, 50 that, 30 that?

Fred Guggenberger
        Participant

Hello Chris!

I would say, it depends. But in co-writing situations, I always do 50/50 without taking an extra piece of the cake for production and mixing.

I am lucky to say, that my co-writers until today (and I haven't done much yet) were all wonderful people. They were doing a lot of other work, like flying to LA to present the song to music supervisors... (I live in Europe, so they are worth gold to me). In my opinion, when two people give their very best in every way to make things happen, I don't ask for an extra percentage for producing and mixing. Simply all 50 / 50.

Have a great time!
          Fred

face (chris) Janton
          Participant

Thanks Fred. Exactly where I was headed. Share it. If you need to micro-manage the percentages, well, uhhh, maybe hire a manager and let them deal with that.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.