Academy Dashboard Forum Production Analog Recording What kind of mixer should I get?

Tagged: , ,

• This topic has 3 replies, 2 voices, and was last updated 5 years ago by face (chris) Janton.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kain Gonzalez
    Participant

I'm looking for the mixer I'll want to down the road for recording an entire band at the same time. Right now I have an Audio Box USB interface and a Behringer Xenyx 1202FX. What I was thinking was getting an interface with 8 inputs and a mixer with 8 inputs and outputs so that I could plug each instrument into the mixer and mix it as much as I can before it goes into the computer, but still have each instrument on separate tracks for further mixing. As I looked at some mixers, I saw some of them have USB connectivity. Does this mean USB mixers can act as an audio interface? While using the USB cable, can each input have its own track inside your DAW? Is there even a point to having an audio interface if this is the case? What do you guys think? Should I get a USB mixer or a regular mixer? Know of any good ones on a budget?

face (chris) Janton
      Participant

I can highly recommend the Behringer XR18 - 18 inputs, 8 outputs, 18x18 USB audio interface. I switched out my broken Focusrite interface for the XR18 and haven't looked back. I can unplug the XR18, take it to a venue, do live mixing, recording, bring it back to the studio and have a field day.

I had a 1202FX and a Scarlett 18i6. The Scarlett died. The XR18 was my live rig. Found that it makes an excellent studio rig as well...

I don't need more than a 48 kHz/24-bit interface...

Kain Gonzalez
        Participant

Thanks for the reply! Could I use this without a separate audio interface going into my computer and have each instrument input on separate track in my DAW?

face (chris) Janton
          Participant

My XR18 is my audio interface. Output from the computer (can) go to channels 17/18 and out from L/R to my monitors.
            Each of the 16 combo-XLR inputs can be sent to any of the 18 channels that go to the Mac - 18x18 USB audio interface.

I do it all the time. Works great. I find the 48 kHz limit on the audio signal perfectly acceptable.

One thing I would really like Behringer to do is make the pre-amps remote controllable from Logic. Right now I just use the X-Air Edit program running along with Logic (or Studio One, or Harrison MixBus)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.