Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk What converters do you use?

• This topic has 16 replies, 15 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by aka setkya.
Viewing 5 posts - 13 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Greg Murray Murray
    Participant

I'm running Antelopes Orion 32 with a PT's Native rig. 32 ins and outs. Madi, USB, 16 chns of Adat I/O's as well as a few others. And it's all crammed into a single rack space. Great interface, love it.

Jared Sherman
      Participant

Like a couple of people here I also have an Avid HD I/O (16X16 Analog) and I also purchased it used at a great price. I really like them. I don't really need the 16 channels for tracking but they do come in handy for hardware inserts.

There was some discussion about using the Avid HD interfaces with iTunes and other computer audio - well here is the skinny on that as I understand it: If you run Windows I am pretty sure you will not be able to use them for computer audio at all. If you run OSX then you can, in general, however if you have both Native Instruments hardware like Maschine or Komplete Kontrol (I have both) and OSX version 10.10 or above you will have to remove your CoreAudio driver (because your NI hardware will not work otherwise) which will mean your HD IO will only work with Pro Tools. I still have an old 003R (which has its own driver) that I have connected just to send non-Pro Tools audio to my monitor controller (SPL Phonitor 2) and that solution works fine for me.

chris massa
        Participant

My main multichannel converters are an Apogee Symphony (w/Thunderbolt Bridge) I/O 2x6 and a 16x16 16 analog out and 16 digital in. My front end is an Audient 880 as it has an insert/return between the mic pre and the converter. great for patching analog gear in. This is run into a Dangerous DBox and expanded with a Dangerous 2Bus LT. Patch bay increases flexibility of inserting gear at the 2Bus. Running a Mac Mini (OSX Yosemite) late 2012 i7 quad core with 16GB and SSD Samsung EVO Pro drives. Use PT 12.4 native.

• This reply was modified 8 years ago by chris massa.
          Chris Sweet
          Participant

I recently got on the Apollo train. Huge fan of the UAD stuff and the Apollo Twin Duo is perfect for home recording and mixing in the box

aka setkya
            Participant

Metric Halo 2882 + DSP, never use the onboard Mic Pres.

Viewing 5 posts - 13 through 17 (of 17 total)
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.