Academy Dashboard Forum Studio Gear Talk Warm Audio WA73-EQ Setup?

Tagged: 

• This topic has 6 replies, 3 voices, and was last updated 4 years ago by Scott Welch.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Scott Welch
    Participant

Anyone have one of these units and how do you have it setup? I’m getting ready to order one and was reading the manual for it and the setup page through me off a bit. It suggests going into a Compressor then out to interface? My plan was to have a Blue Bluebirde going into it and then out straight into my Presonus Quantum.
      Is there wrong or was the Manual just trying to get me to buy a compressor too, ha ha. That is the next item on list to get later this year.

Thanks for any thoughts on this.

Scott Welch

Kevin
      Participant

I think that every engineer on this planet would agree that the 1173 has defined the tone of rock records for decades. I don't know this Warm Audio replica, but I do know that WA makes fantastic products. You can't go wrong there.

The setup that you have in mind will work of course. However, if you want, for example, to use the EQ of the unit in your mix, you're kinda stuck. You can get away with it if you don't have racks filled with hardware tho. Just hardwire one output of your interface to a line input of the unit, route it in your DAW as an external effect and Bob is your uncle.

Scott Welch
        Participant

That’s what I thought but just wanted to be sure I wasn’t missing something.

Thanks bunches

Zachary Shrout
          Participant

I use of of these all the time. I usually do not engage the EQ, but I have used the EQ to track acoustic guitar. I like it very much.

You do not have to run it through a compressor at all. When tracking vocals and snare (I use this for snare as wel), I do use compression on the way in, but most other things I don’t. If you want to use compression with it, I suggest you play with what sounds better... running it as an insert, or running it from the output of the pre. I typically go from the output, but it depends on what your going for.

Scott Welch
            Participant

Thanks for tip on trying it both ways, I'll do so when it gets here.

Kevin
              Participant

I agree with Zachary. On vocals, I barely use EQ on the front end. The reason is that if you want to do an overdub of a sentence a week later and in the meanwhile you changed the EQ parameters, it's very hard to get the same sound back. Yes, you can write the settings down, but you know that goes... I do use compression on the front end, but it's always the same compressor on the same settings, only the gain varies, but not a much.

Scott Welch
                Participant

Good point on the EQ part and having retakes that need done. My friend is a singer new to recording and keeps changing settings so I’m always yelling at him to just set and leave it alone. Needed one line redone and it came back good pitch, timing had feel...just looking at the wave file was like looking at a rectangle.
                  Track was way to hot going in.

Thanks again guys.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.